Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA World Record

My previous idea about having a EuroGA flyin to a country without an airport fizzled out due to the lack of viable canidates.

But maybe there is something else that we could do to promote our forum.

What about if we tried to get some sort of world record as a forum group?

I’m struggling for ideas, as the most obvious ones would be very difficult to achieve.

But how about something like the most aircraft stacked vertically in a hold?
Perhaps we could oraganise aircraft in a VFR hold in class G airspace (so no formal spacing required) holding over a GPS point in 500ft spacing? 20 aircraft up to 10,000ft. We have a fair few members here with O2 capability, so maybe we could organise a further 10 aircraft up to 15,000ft?

That would be 30 aircraft in a hold stacked vertically over one spot. A quickle google doesn’t seem to show any record for such a thing. Maybe we could be the first?

In doing so, maybe we could help promote our forum?

Maybe there is a better idea for a record?

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 12 Jul 10:12
EIWT Weston, Ireland

Sounds fun!

EGTF, LFTF

Longest line of ga planes would be fun to ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

I think it would be great BUT I also think those taking part would need to be very carefully vetted to ensure their abilities. No disrespect intended to any one but having been in a “stack” at Glasgow a few years ago (it was very busy with “big stuff” ) some pilots with perhaps less experience of such thing could even panic.
The idea certainly warrants a concerted try.

UK, United Kingdom

My time of one hour ten minutes is, I believe, still the fastest solo in a C172 from Page, Arizona to Hanksville, Utah, by an employee of The Highland Council Education Department based in Inverness, Scotland.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

Longest line of ga planes would be fun to ;)

Might be hard to beat the yearly line at Oshkosh

Germany

Fenland_Flyer wrote:

some pilots with perhaps less experience of such thing could even panic

Those should join glider competition with dozen of gliders climbing in the same thermal circling literarily few meters of each other

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@Malibuflyer you may be onto something there :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

Those should join glider competition with dozen of gliders climbing in the same thermal circling literarily few meters of each other

That’s the reason why you mainly find very experienced pilots in these kind of competition (with hundreds of hours experience in flying in close proximity to other gliders in thermals) and still participating in such competition is statistically amongst the more dangerous things you can do in aviation (and why all of these pilots wear chutes and glider cockpits are designed in a way that it is easy to get out…)

Germany
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message