Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Summer 2014 Fly-In - Corsica 5-8 September

This new thread follows on from the earlier 2014 fly-in.

So far we have the following suggestions:

Calvi (LFKC) Corsica
Brac (LDSB) Croatia
Zaragoza (LEZG) Spain

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

maybe somewhere more central would be more attractive to more people ? Still – you cannot please everybody.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Guernsey or Texel?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Peter needs ILS and handling if I remember correctly…

Northern Europe would be best for something in summer. Texel is good. Denmark has very nice places, too.

MLS, actually…

We need IFR, Customs, 100LL, and a scenic location which everybody (that includes the ladies!) likes to hang out in for a few days. There are not many locations in N Europe which deliver that.

How about August rather than September?

Corsica sounds rather good… can one get a trip around this ?

Last Edited by Peter at 31 May 16:24
Administrator

…if the plan is to fix it at short notice on the basis of promising weather window – presumably the need for IFR with all the trimmings might be dispensed with?

Customs (necessary for UK pilots) and an instrument approach tend to go together.

But, sure, nobody wants some 200 quid airport.

Last Edited by Peter at 31 May 17:35
Administrator

Corsica is prohibitive to me, too much time/distance over water.
Brac is just as difficult as Losinj, no use to have a second meetup so close to the first.
Zaragoza is the least negative for me, but still very far away with 80 kts airspeed.

I somehow fancy the concept of the “main” meeting – which we just had, and to good success – and the “little” one, aiming to serve those who missed the main for whatever reason. More central (for the slow-fliers like myself), less emphasis on high-level services like ILS, but still should be an attractive location, to non-pilots too.

What’s the famous shopping airport in south-western Germany, close to FR border?
Several fields in Alsace-Lorraine have been suggested before?
Texel seems a very good idea, too, one of the few NL aerodromes I would consider.

If I may suggest my own country: Kortrijk EBKT meets many requirements (customs, ILS, …), especially with all the WW1 memories around making it possibly interesting to the non-pilots.

As for timing: myself would prefer September, but do not exclude August. Certainly we needn’t and shouldn’t wait till 2015!!!

Last Edited by at 31 May 17:41
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan Kortrijk sounds like a good suggestion, and very apposite for the EUROga forum…

With you Jan. Central would be better. I am out on anything more than a 2 or 3 hours away due cost.

Zweibrucken has the shopping centre. Was quite impressed with the airfield, but there is not much else.

I have been thinking do we need a smaller “VFR Fly in” for the non-IR and microlight pilots on the forum, as we are more restricted by the weather. That would for example open Idar Oberstein and the steaks there. I discovered there from a great suggestion by this forum. Wood fire pizzas at Rothenburg, or some other grass strips where a BBQ could be arranged. I forget the name of one but it’s just east of Achim’s base. And has a road across the runway which is a bit of a novelty, plus I am sure they would appreciate the field being used.

EDHS, Germany
269 Posts
Sign in to add your message