Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can more people start threads, please (also New Post feature)

Just started a new thread

Rochester EGTO

A year later, time to bump this thread

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

David has added a New Post feature

I’ve been looking for that feature couple of times. If I am somewhat typical, it should help.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

They do serve slightly different purposes:

Active Threads – the most recently posted to threads. Ten posts on one thread will still only show the thread once.
Latest Posts – the most recent posts. Ten posts on one thread will show as ten entries.

Most people here use Active Threads. On another forum we host, which gets around 25,000 posts a day, almost nobody uses the post list; everyone uses the thread list. We have high aspirations here!

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

David / Peter I think that is brilliant – sorry I hadnt noticed the “latest post” tab – I wonder if it might stand out more if in bold, and I wonder if there is an overlap with the “active posts” and both are really needed?

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 06 Dec 21:17

David has added a New Post feature. The URL is here and you can see the link at the top of the page:

It then takes you to a list of forum sections.

Administrator

Fuji, is that different from what you get by clicking “Latest Posts”?

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Somehwere else the forum has a tab for current posts – and this gives a run of the posts in chronolgical order over the last few days or so. I think it works really well as a good way of people seeing what and where discussions are evolving and generally catching up and may be a good idea here. I think it also encourages people to post because envitably they will see a comment which deserves a response which they might otherwise not have noticed. I havent frequented very many forum over the years (it may sound like I have) but I guess it is a few and I have only seen this done it one place and it does work really well. Maybe it is diffcult to do?

Timothy wrote:

Also, noob is labelling.
I didn’t mean it would actually be called that.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Sometimes it ends up with a few replies, sometimes it evolves into a longish thread

The “problem” is that EuroGA can get 100+ posts on a busy day, and most people – especially those who for some reason prefer to not be logged in except when making a post – read it purely via the Active Threads button, so if you visit the forum only say 2x a day you will miss most posts.

There is no good way around this apart from a smaller font and presenting many more threads on a page which leads to a very cluttered look which anyway doesn’t work on a mobile device which is the majority of the readership these days. It more or less follows that people who read EuroGA on a phone and drop in rarely, will miss most posts.

I keep half an eye on threads with zero or few replies and if it is a good topic then I promote it to the banners on the home page (that is possible only if the first post does not contain a large image) and then for sure it gets plenty of hits

I do wonder if it is because so many of the topics come up quite regularly

That will be the case inevitably, but I think that is more of a problem for a printed magazine than for a forum, especially a moderated one where flaming etc is not allowed. People’s experiences are on a huge spectrum and the important thing is for them to feel they can ask questions or report things which happened, without getting jumped on.

Regarding getting jumped on, we have had a few (thankfully very few) aggressive people here over time, with a couple still running background campaigns against me and EuroGA, but as of right now I think they have mostly gone from the forum. Believe me or not, there is a lot of hassle involved sometimes. This sort of thing will always be addressed decisively. It wasn’t always in the past and that was a big mistake.

I agree, that should be part of the dialog.

I will point David at the suggestion about the thread start feature.

Many thanks all

BTW it is very easy for me to move a thread to a different forum section. But often it is not clear whether something should be under say Hangar Talk or Flying… it doesn’t really matter.

Administrator
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message