Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best combo ADS-B receiver / EFB app for VFR in Europe and US

Citing the same PDF as above:

“High precision SBAS GPS meeting performance requirements of TSO-C199, transmitting a Source Integrity Level (SIL) value of 1, ensuring ATC and airborne avionics can receive and trust the GPS position being transmitted.”

ESME, ESMS

I had read the same as Dimme from the PDF.
Didn’t remember that certified avionics would require SIL=3 signal to show.
So who has been able to test ?
@Dave_Phillips ?

Thanks Dimme for your report. Yes the Skyecho2 looks like a viable solution for traffic awareness and maybe on board weather one day !! The box looks like the Sentry for sure, they must be identical inside.
And it works with FF too so it’s usable in both sides of the pond !
My choice now is either the skyecho2 or the stratus 3 (which is now open to other apps than FF). One of those will be my next birthday present

LFOU, France

If (as seems certain) the ADS-B OUT from these products are invisible on any installed (certified) ADS-B IN product, you will be invisible to all the faster traffic that you may encounter in Class E-G.

When this kind of discussion takes place in a UK “forum”, the counter-argument (the argument to install them anyway) runs along the lines of “why should we subsidise the rich pilots who can afford to install the £13k certified boxes?”, to which I would have normally replied with “always fly with Mode C turned on” but that is exactly what a % of these pilots do not want to do because they are more likely to get busted on a CAS bust However my feeling is that those pilots won’t be emitting ADS-B OUT either, because that is really easy and cheap to monitor ADS-B from a central location in Europe, and it would be trivial to generate CAS bust reports – if ATC ever got organised to do that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter there products are meant to be as a complement to Mode A/C transponders. It even states in the manual that the ADS-B out capability must be disabled in the event you are emitting Mode-S. TCAS systems of larger aircraft will see any kind of transponder so the SIL argument doesn’t really apply there.

The main reason anyone would enable ADS-B out in let’s say the SkyEcho 2 is that other people using similar products would be able to see each other in non-certified products. I would be grateful if I’m flying around with my uncertified solution and I can see other small guys around me.

ESME, ESMS

Jujupilote wrote:

My choice now is either the skyecho2 or the stratus 3 (which is now open to other apps than FF).

It may be open to other apps but the abscence of an onboard barometer means that SkyDemon will not use the ADSB data. I am waiting to hear the situation as regards EASY VFR – they have my unit to play with. Garmin Pilot will also not see the traffic data from Stratus 3 and nor will any Garmin handheld.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I’m a little bit late into this topic, but if you are a kind of DIY guy
and interested only in ADS-B IN this is another alternative for Android OS.
It works with this.
Not sure why one should use ADS-B out on uncertified devices, sending traffic data, since you may risk paying a hefty fine if you are found using it.

ES?? - Sweden

ADS-B out from “uncertified” devices is perfectly legal in the UK.

ESME, ESMS

@Dimme, If I remember well, the initial text from CAA was that it was on trial, which means it is not going to last forever.
Still, don’t see the point since more of the mode S transponders come with ADS-B out.

ES?? - Sweden

Dimme, where did you buy the skyecho2 and how long did you wait for it ? I can’t find it anywhere but the uavionix website and they advertise 1-2months lead time.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 12 Dec 12:28
LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message