Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best combo ADS-B receiver / EFB app for VFR in Europe and US

Is this actually confirmed?

Yes, was confirmed by FF: https://www.pilotundflugzeug.de/forum/2022,04,28,13,2154297/page3 the (German) post from Wolfgang Oestreich in the middle of the thread.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 21 Jun 15:14
Germany

martin-esmi wrote:

will only work with FF I guess.

Is this actually confirmed?
The new Sentry plus can connect to an existing onboard WiFi network, in our small planes most likely from Garmin, so at least these two need to play nice. Once you are in Garmin-world, you could connect via GDL-90 to many things and softwares.

Last Edited by Arne at 21 Jun 15:11
ESMK, Sweden

Yesterday we had a side to side comparison flight with a friend of mines Sentry and my StratuxFlarm (T-Motion for LEGACY 868 out). I’ll stay with the cheapo Stratux solution, does exactly the same for much less money.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 19 Jun 07:31
Germany

martin-esmi wrote:

.. and today the Sentry Plus was released with support for Flarm (and other things). Looks nice, will only work with FF I guess.

https://flywithsentry.com/sentry-plus

Blimey; for a long time I hesitated between the Sentry and SkyEcho 2. Really liked the features of the former but opted finally for the latter because of the FLARM support. Yesterday ordered the SkyEcho 2 and today saw this; fortunately, I was able to cancel the order

EDHE/LLHZ, Israel

.. and today the Sentry Plus was released with support for Flarm (and other things). Looks nice, will only work with FF I guess.

https://flywithsentry.com/sentry-plus

Airborne_Again wrote:

Can you even do it technically, given that the US and Europe have chosen different standards for ADS-B out?

I understand that Sentry (now) works fine in both the USA and EU/UK; if so it seems that technically it can be done. But perhaps I’m missing something?

Last Edited by ophirmm at 17 Mar 13:28
EDHE/LLHZ, Israel

Airborne_Again wrote:

the US and Europe have chosen different standards for ADS-B out?

Isn’t it just that the USA gives one the choice between UAT (below 18 000 ft only) and Mode S ES (Extended Squitter), and Europe requires Mode S ES? So by installing the same Mode S ES, one is compliant in Europe and USA (not necessarily Canada because of the diversity (two antennas) requirement)?

ELLX

Airborne_Again wrote:

Can you even do it technically, given that the US and Europe have chosen different standards for ADS-B out?

Yes, with a mode-S transponder with extended squitter (and I know quite a few planes in the US that switched to a new mode-S transponder when the ADS-B mandate came in). It’s UAT that’s specific to the US.

Last Edited by alioth at 17 Mar 09:34
Andreas IOM

The RSA are have an agreement here with an outfit called " Flying Neurons" and have an offer at the moment where groups can get together and buy the system in bulk through the RSA. Of course the more aircraft and clubs commit to buy the cheaper the system becomes.
This is an an traffic warning system which shows all transponder traffic as well as Flarm.
As an EFB we have SDVFR which as a base is free and has enough information to satisfy a PPL examiner. It can also be added to by buying further charts which I believe now cover the whole of Europe.

France

ophirmm wrote:

Thanks Dimme; so it would not be possible to use its ADS-B Out capabilities in the US, right? I mean legally.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
83 Posts
Sign in to add your message