Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best combo ADS-B receiver / EFB app for VFR in Europe and US

@PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Outside UK, do you only loose ADSB out ?

Technically you can still enable it, even outside the UK, although it would not be legal. Also, it has to be disabled you have a Mode-S transponder in your aircraft. Otherwise the ATC will get double targets.

For FLARM (IN):

1. You get a SkyEcho 2.
  2. You make sure you’re running firmware 2.6.0 or higher. (I have it if you need it)
  3. You get this: http://www.skydemon.aero/store/flarmdecoding.aspx
  4. Profit?

PS: It uses the UAT radio for FLARM, so you don’t get the weather-releated UAT stuff in the UK if you enable FLARM reception, but you still get ADS-B IN/OUT.

Last Edited by Dimme at 09 Dec 21:00
ESME, ESMS

Hum that sounds great.
Have you tried it ?

Now comes the ultimate question to @Sebastian_G
Would it be possible to connect both devices (SKYECHO and ADL) with one sole iPad ? `

PS: when you say “4. Profit ?”, do you mean you find it useless ?

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 09 Dec 21:05

Second question to @Sebastian_G: any interest in integrating FLARM detection ?

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Have you tried it ?

Not yet, the weather hasn’t been great the last few weeks, I will let you know when I try it.

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

PS: when you say “4. Profit ?”, do you mean you find it useless ?

No, I think it is definitely useful. We have areas with gliders around here that I cross often and it is nice being able to see them. Or when heading south over Germany and Czech Republic in the summer, there are a lot of gliding activities.

ESME, ESMS

Also, it has to be disabled you have a Mode-S transponder in your aircraft. Otherwise the ATC will get double targets.

Why would ATC get double targets only outside the UK?

Presumably the reason for the double targets is that any receiving system is not capable of merging the two transmissions (Mode S and ADS-B OUT) unless they contain the same 24-bit ID, and this device has no means of transmitting that.

Also I didn’t think ATC anywhere in Europe can see ADS-B.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Why would ATC get double targets only outside the UK?

You did not understand me.

Inside the UK, they would get double targets if you have Mode-S and SkyEcho ADS-B OUT enabled.

Outside of the UK it is simply illegal to turn on ADS-B OUT in the SkyEcho.

Peter wrote:

unless they contain the same 24-bit ID, and this device has no means of transmitting that.

It has.

Last Edited by Dimme at 09 Dec 21:16
ESME, ESMS

@Peter from here: https://uavionix.com/downloads/skyecho/SkyEcho-2-User-and-Installation-Guide-REV-C.pdf

9.5 Transmit Control
According to UK CAP1391 regulations, transmission must be deactivated when used on an aircraft with an air traffic control radar beacon system (ATCRBS) Mode-S transponder.

Also, from the web interface that you use for configuration:

ESME, ESMS

What would interest me is whether someone with this box, and no transponder, would be visible on a certified TAS system like the Avidyne TAS605 which has the ADS-B IN option.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

What would interest me is whether someone with this box, and no transponder, would be visible on a certified TAS system like the Avidyne TAS605 which has the ADS-B IN option.

Why not ?
Of course, confirmation will be needed :-)

Certified TAS displays only targets emitting SIL=3 ADS-B OUT

That thread is worth reading whole. We won’t have another one because everybody on there has already said what they wanted to say

Administrator
Sign in to add your message