Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best combo ADS-B receiver / EFB app for VFR in Europe and US

Get the lowcost stratux (250€) and foreflight. Works great and doesn’t cost much for eu and us.
I might sell my stratux soon because the da40/sr22 have onboard traffic display.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Thanks fellows.
So the general advice is stratux+FF.
The web says it works with FF v10.0 and stratux 1.4r5 and later.

If you sell yours snoopy, PM me :)

LFOU, France

Does the Stratux or GDL50 speak to an iPad running easyVFR/PocketFMS?

Is it receiving just Mode S transmitting aircraft, or also Mode C?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The Stratux does talk standard GDL90 protocol, so yes, easyVFR does work. Beware that the GDL90 requires valid altitude baro information, so be sure to get the AHRS module for the Stratux. Without the baro information from the AHRS the moving map programs won’t show the traffic.

Stratux does receive all transponder signals, but depending on the built version only targets with valid position report are shown on the maps. If you get the Flarm-abled version also these targets show up (my advice, get the Flarm-able version, so you can switch between dreamland across the Atlantic and Flarm in Europe). The distance rings estimate for bearingless C and A transponders are disabled by default, because with the different current transponders, there is no good way to get the distance from the signal strength.

Just got this: https://uavionix.com/products/skyecho/

It does ADS-B IN/OUT (UK only for OUT), UAT weather where available, FLARM and Mode C/S bearingless. I still have to give it a try in the air but I must say it works very well on the ground.

Last Edited by Dimme at 09 Dec 13:03
ESME, ESMS

Thanks @Dimme that looks like a good solution, didn’t know about it.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Just got one as well – now waiting on flyable weather .It will talk to Sd, Easy Vfr. I also have thd Dynon DRX but that lacks barometer so does not work with SkyDemon. I also have the Stratus 3 which works well with ForeFlight

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

ForeFlight and SkyEcho

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

The Scout is also setup for Foreflight and provides ADS-B IN for $200, if that’s all you need. Not sure how well it functions in Europe but (maybe for that reason) didn’t see it mentioned above.

Slight tangent: I’m currently preparing to order my ADS-B OUT solution for compliance within US Mode C veils. Right now I’m leaning towards no installed ADS-B IN, using portables for that purpose for future flexibility. I was planning to wait on all of the above but it looks like it’ll be possible to put together a good group of individuals and hardware including an avionics A&P and an IA to do our planes in parallel, with essentially no avionics shop involvement.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Dec 16:46

@Dimme wrote:

It does ADS-B IN/OUT (UK only for OUT), UAT weather where available, FLARM and Mode C/S bearingless. I still have to give it a try in the air but I must say it works very well on the ground.

Outside UK, do you only loose ADSB out ?
About FLARM and SKYECHO (2), I understand there are two ways: either using existing FLARM device with a bridge, or wait beginning 2019 to get RX/TX integrated FLARM into SKYECHO. I wrote uAvionix, but didn’t get answer yet.
Second approach would be excellent, as it would allow to get ADSB and FLARM traffic detection from the same device.

I should also warn @Peter and @Dave_Phillips

Sign in to add your message