Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Battle One

Which frequency, located where, providing what service?

Sometimes these things have restricted routes and be under the control of a military unit, to keep them out of harms way and the busy GA corridors around that area. I didn’t think they would be mingling too much in OCAS using Farnborough LARS. But now I see they were doing something over St Giles and the Denham ATZ, then I guess Farnborough was the right frequency.

I thought it would be co-ordinated by a more dedicated frequency
Which frequency, located where, providing what service?

Last Edited by flybymike at 25 Jul 17:01
Egnm, United Kingdom

It was booked to do a fly past at some event in Chalfont St Giles and somehow a flypast of EGLD was thrown in. The Notams was an advisory but apparently BBMF insist on airfields being closed for them to do a flypast through the ATZ. Perhaps not an unreasonable request but it was closed for around half an hour and the first I knew of it was when I called up for departure right at the start of the half hour. (Yes, I had read the NOTAM but it made no mention of airfield closures).
Still, there are worse ways to spend half an hour on a Sunday.

Forever learning
EGTB

Why was the airfield closed? Because the Lancaster (Battle one) was circling or holding in the London CTR area close to Northolt?

I have on a few occasions had to relay something from Farnborough north to someone because they were receiving poor radio coverage, but it has never been as exciting as “battle one”, and actually I am surprised the Lancaster is going around at such low levels trying to use a LARS service. I thought it would be co-ordinated by a more dedicated frequency.

I took similar photos and I too was a little taken aback by the “airfield closed” being somewhat different to what was promulgated in the Notams.
Still, it was a great sight wasn’t it!

Forever learning
EGTB

So last Sunday I had planned to go for a quick flight Denham to Turweston but the TAF gods had other ideas for me and mentioned something like PROB30 +SHRA TSGR.
Don’t you just hate when it’s not a clear go or no go? Anyways to play it a bit safer I decided to just do a local flight over Silverstone circuit instead of landing and if the weather does really turn bad I head back home quickly.

So there I was bumping along in the club’s PA-28 getting a basic service from Farnborough north. The radio was very quiet, very unusual for a Sunday, but I guess a lot of
people got spooked by the chance of thunderstorms and the not so great VIS. This is what happened later:

Farnborough Radar: Battle One, how do you read?
-silence-
Farnborough Radar: Battle One, how do you read?
-silence-
Me thinking: What the heck has a call sign battle one?! and why does he not know how to read?
Farnborough Radar: Golf-Charlie Apha can you please relay to Battle One ‘how do you read’?
Me thinking: Do I really have to say battle one on the radio? or is he just messing with me?
Me: Battle one, relaying from Farnborough, how to you read?
Battle one: readability 5, Battle one
Me thinking: Oh wow… it’s not a joke, Battle one is real!
Me: Farnborough, did you get that? G-CA
Farnborough Radar: I can hear him, but he can’t hear me. G-CA can you relay to Battle One squawk 5026?
Me: Battle one, Farnborough say squawk 5026. G-CA
Battle one: squawk 5026. Battle one
Farnborough Radar: G-CA can you ask Battle One for a position report?
Me: Battle one, Farnborough request position report. G-CA
Battle one: Battle one is at 5 miles north of Aylesbury, 500 feet, QNH 1011, south bound estimate…
Me thinking: I sure hope Farnborough got that cause there is no way I can repeat that! hang on… 5 miles North of Aylesbury, is more or less where I am. Where is this guy?
I searched hard below me, but no sign of him. Good thing it wasn’t a real battle! Then I rememberd the notam I had seen in the morning in the area saying something about battle of Britain fly past.
This entertaining relay back and forth kept on going for a while, until I changed back to Denham (Farnborough thanked me for the help) and landed at my airfield. At which point:
Denham radio: We’ll be closing the airfield in 2 minutes
Hmm… now that’s weird. Don’t remember the notam mentioned anything about closing the airfield. I should read those notams more carefully…
So I parked, got out of the PA-28 and was wondering what the small crowd of people with cameras was about when this passed overhead:

At which point I thought to myself: ‘Oh so that’s battle one!’ I jumped on my motorbike and went back home with a huge grin. Amazing stuff, this flying business.

I told this exact story to my girlfriend but she just called me a big nerd. Maybe here it will be more appreciated!

6 Posts
Sign in to add your message