Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Continuing Battle in the US over FAA ATC Funding and why.

Just in case the word has not gotten around Europe, AOPA (USA) is again battling the Corporatists who want to nudge out individuality and personal freedoms of GA. Interesting to understand why the fight is on. Last time it was the Obama administration before that the Bush Admins.

US AOPA

Yep that is why while trying to land at an airport of entrance (in the ATA) I had to wait and wait and wait while an air carrier was inbound “on final” from cruising flight levels. If I had known how far out his final was I would have complained to the tower guy. Well it seems like Ryanair air carriers expect everyone to clear the skies while they make their debut from the heavens.

KHTO, LHTL

Many US pilots are Trump supporters and against government and are therefore very divided on this subject. On the one hand they don’t want costs to increase for them, but on the other they want to get rid of “inefficient government” and ATC/union controllers. AOPA seemed to suffer fro the same ambivalence and their stance on the subject came late and was not very forceful. What they don’t understand is it will be just like when the UK de-regulated the trains – a total mess where prices increased and service declined (UK is the only country in the world where 50miles can take 2hrs on a a train and cost £50)…

I’m no proponent for big government, but this is one they might want to keep as it is and not mess with. If they don’t, it will be painful for everyone and service will go down and cost will go up. As sure as the sun shines. Besides, US GA already pays for ATC via the fuel surcharge on Avgas and Jet A1. If they introduce privatization and user fee’s, like Europe has, how many here think the feds will eliminate the fuel excess charges? Will never happen, they’ll just pocket that money.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 07 Jul 19:00

AdamFrisch wrote:

I’m no proponent for big government, but this is one they might want to keep as it is and not mess with. If they don’t, it will be painful for everyone and service will go down and cost will go up.

Sounds logical. US GA is regularly held up as a way better experience than its European counterpart on these forums (I have no personal experience outside my own country, so won’t judge myself). Interesting that it is partially so because there is more government intervention and investment than in Europe (in almost all other fields it is the other way around, and, suprisingly, in almost all other fields the standard is better in Europe).

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Wanting less govt is a pretty good goal but unfortunately going after the something that is working when you have colossal agencies and programs that dont work at all is insane. Everything is paid for and there are no deficits when it comes to ATC. The same cant be said of the FAA. Perhaps they should rethink that. Oh wait there is no money to be made to reform them. Exactly who is pushing for Privatization? Follow the money and the answer will be clear. Also who donated to that Jerk in PAs reelection coffers?

KHTO, LHTL

I forgot to add, the US has the best govt money can buy.

KHTO, LHTL

There is no such thing as government investment. Apart from borrowings, governments don’t have any money. It is taxpayer money

In the USA there is an unusual system for funding airports and other aviation services whereby aviation is regarded as a part of the national transport infrastructure, and the FAA gets a lot of money at its disposal, from AFAIK fuel taxes and such.

It would be surprising if Trump voting made any difference to this issue because nobody in the USA wants route charges. Canada implemented these as an annual payment, IIRC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The role of the US Federal Government is pretty well defined and relatively limited by European standards, but it just so happens that interstate commerce, airspace and aviation regulation falls within that role. The president in office is irrelevant. We seem to go through this battle every year and the result has so far always fallen on the same side. I think all it takes is an assertive presentation on other systems worldwide by AOPA and the rest, and things fall back into line. It does help keep some pressure on FAA.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 07 Jul 21:58

Being a EAA member, I guess it’s more or less my duty as a “free citizen” to be against this privatization, and stand up for freedom. It’s no mystery what the EAA’s stand on this is

EAA CEO and Chairman of the Board Jack J. Pelton is our guest on a special edition of EAA’s The Green Dot podcast, outlining why ATC privatization is an ominous threat to GA, why EAA is involved, and what individuals can do to help protect the freedom of flight.

None of my business actually, but I fully agree. Privatization is ominous to the freedom of many things. It’s in many ways similar to democracy. Minorities don’t have the same freedom as the average mediocre Joe.

I do think it’s more to this than just classic government vs private enterprise. EAA is full of old (and not so old) military personnel. For them the government “control” of ATC isn’t such a bad thing, and certainly not something they view as anti-freedom. It’s more or less the opposite. In this case the exact opposite. The government is in this case what guaranties “freedom of flight”, in a somewhat similar manner the military guaranties (and fight for) freedom in a general sense. IMO it makes perfect sense, and is a fact. GA is a “minority” that gets a hard life without “government protection”, just look at Europe. Some things, some freedoms, are just too fragile to be left out in the cold and shot down at the first opportunity by greed and ignorance.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I do think it’s more to this than just classic government vs private enterprise.

The key issue is the Constitutionally defined role of the US Federal Government, defined functions and limits on power, and not much else. I know its hard to believe as a European that government can be pressured to do something with the people’s tax money while also being pressured not to do everything under the sun, but the US Federal Government has a job description and many people expect them to show up to work, do their job, and meanwhile not to look outside of Congress for more funding (e.g. “fees”) or hire more help than they need for the work assigned.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 07 Jul 22:28

Silvaire wrote:

The key issue is the Constitutionally defined role of the US Federal Government, defined functions and limits on power, and not much else.

Listen to the webcast by EAA, and you will see (or hear ) exactly what the key issue is according to EAA. It’s as I said, only the government can guarantee “freedom of flight”. It’s simple things as ATC at Air Venture Oskosh, In the webcast it was mentioned 70 or 80 controllers just for Air venture. If ATC was privatized, they could certainly hire their controllers, but the insurance fees for the ATC for such an event would be astronomical. The government is self assured, so no problem.

Anyway, it didn’t sound like they were overly nervous that the ATC actually would become privatized, so it probably won’t happen.

Silvaire wrote:

I know its hard to believe as a European that government can be pressured to do something with the people’s tax money while also being pressured not to do everything under the sun

I have no idea what you mean, seriously. Another point they made in the webcast was privatization would mean that peoples tax money, funding and building the FAA, the ATC in particular, would simply be given away to a private entity. A non commercial entity, but private, and with no government control. Something like that is not what has happened in Europe (not in Norway at least). ATC hasn’t become privatized, only self financed (they receive no tax payer money, but is 100% state owned). The CAAs are still state bureaucracies here as well, and so is also EASA financed by taxes. Not that it helps GA all that much (but I should probably not complain)

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
63 Posts
Sign in to add your message