Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airport police rules of engagement

All true, but there are a lot of ‘ifs’ in there which make the difference – “if they are entitled to ask you to leave an area” – the point being that generally they’re not entitled to ask you to leave an area at their own discretion ‘just because’ – there needs to be something in place to enable that, at that particular location at that particular time.

Vehicle stopping powers – yes – they are quite wide-ranging but they stem from their powers over the use of vehicles on public roads rather than general powers over the public. They are in essence stopping the vehicle, not the individual driving it. They can ask for papers to ensure the law with respect to the vehicle is being complied with (license, insurance etc) but they don’t have a right to know where you’re going or what you’re doing. They may ask you these questions, and indeed often do, but it is not an offence to refuse to answer.

I have very mixed views on the development of police powers. One thing I definitely don’t like is that the police themselves petition government for extra powers and are often granted them. That is a warning sign for me – it is the role of the police to carry out their jobs as defined by those who employ them (ultimately the taxpayer by way of the government), not to become involved in defining what that job should be or what tools / powers they should be given.

I find draconian powers to prevent peaceful protest very troubling, but at the same time I’m not in favour of people gluing themselves to the M25 and generally feel that something (preferably a less blunt tool than being run over by a truck) should prevent this.

Finally, I have little problem with the police harassing known criminals. The Guardian often carries outrage stories about person XYZ (usually in London) who has apparently had their rights infringed by the Police on some particular occasion. Reading the article in full often reveals that the person has quite the track record, and at that point my sympathy tends to evaporate.

Last Edited by Graham at 10 Jul 09:05
EGLM & EGTN

Reminder again that the UK has two separate legal systems in the two Kingdoms which are united..

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Sure; to an extent. But neither is likely to shoot you at an airport.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

Reminder again that the UK has two separate legal systems in the two Kingdoms which are united..

Three, really – Northern Irish law is different to English/Welsh law and Scots law and is in a different jurisdiction (although NI law is, I think, much more similar to English law than Scots is to English).

EGTF, United Kingdom
54 Posts
Sign in to add your message