Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airport police rules of engagement

@Peter you know what they say about “assume”?

France

common sense

Maybe there is no such thing?

always learning
LO__, Austria

you know what they say about “assume”?

No; France has no LAW stating that you must seek out the police.

If you know of such a law, please post details here.

The obligations of a pilot are to comply with the AIP and NOTAM. If it says PN you give the PN.

Now you will say what you said last time: “you will never change French culture”. And maybe that is a good answer to this topic? Would French police shoot at a departing aircraft, claiming that it departed before the filed EOBT? I am sure they are not supposed to, but the decision to actually shoot or not is down the individual carrying the 9mm. And we all know they are not recruited for IQ above a certain value

No way; one is not required to walk around an airport looking for the police, once you have given the PN. In Germany you must.

So, yes, one is entitled to assume that compliance with PN is an adequate discharge of one’s obligations.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This might be relevant to the topic.

In Sweden, police recruits must spend two and a half years training to become police officers. In comparison, basic training in the U.S. can take anywhere between 13 weeks and six months, depending on agencies. A short training period means less opportunity to focus on guidance on crisis intervention or de-escalation.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Sure but the US is not in Sweden

We also don’t know what “basic training” is. In the UK for example we have a rank called PCSO which is basically a “muppet rank”. This is a bad example, although I have seen this sort of thing around the place for decades. But a PCSO cannot actually “do” anything, and especially not carry a gun. The firearms squad is separate (I used to fly with one of them) although there is a lot more of them than most would think, and a lot of police cars carry something like an MP5 all the time in some cities like Manchester.

I also totally doubt a US cop with 13 weeks can carry a gun, so that article is at best disingenuous. The agenda is clear; they narrowly avoided comparing Finland and Angola

Administrator

In France there are different forces of policing, which is why I asked which police they were. All have different responsibilities and the question was “What are the rules of engagement?”
I doubt very much if any of the police bodies would be taught to shoot at an aircraft, and like @skydriller I believe it to be highly unlikely that they would. But police officers around the world are individuals and some might well not stick to rules of engagement where they exist.
In the case at Avignon I am surprised to hear that police officers ran in front of an aircraft with props turning at a holding point. I cannot think of any ROE’s that would make them do that. So if we assume that they would not, then I return to the question " you know what they say about to assume?"

France

They ran up to the wingtip, with the engine running.

I assumed (obviously – 9mm carrying officers!) they were going to start shooting and said that to the tower (which was urging me to taxi forward) that if I do I will get shot. The rest is in the thread.

Throw in zero ELP for the officers and just enough ELP for the tower…

The officers were airport police. I don’t know any more.

Administrator

It seems to me, to borrow a line from a film “there was a faliure to communicate”.
You say that the police watched you prepare your aircraft. Whilst airport police ( I am not sure what they would be. PAF would normally have "Police Aux Frontières " somewhere on their uniform) would probably would have no necessity to have ELP they may well have been instructed not to approach a pilot during the performance of pre flight checks. As there is no necessity to be trained as pilots, they would not necessarily know when the “visite prevol” preflight checks start and when they finish.
But when you saw them watching you, would it not have been a good idea, even through sign language, that you are offering to show your passport?
Not being there and you not asking at the time why they waited until you were at the holding point to approach, we probably will nevervknow what was going through their minds. Stuff happens.

France

But when you saw them watching you, would it not have been a good idea, even through sign language, that you are offering to show your passport?

No; I would not walk up to some random officer standing around and show him my passport That does not make any sense at all. C+I is their job and it is their job to examine me, if they want to.

Administrator

Ahh now I understand. They were waiting for you and you were waiting for them. Nothing to learn here then!

France
Sign in to add your message