Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airport police rules of engagement

I think they were waiting for me indeed, while deliberately timing their wait so they could “get me” at the filed EOBT and create a “situation”.

They would have seen me get into the plane, then some mins later start up, and what did they do? They still waited so they would get a chance to create a “proper scene” Then at the runway holding point they ran to the plane waving their arms around.

Completely stupid, and IMHO not incompatible with going one step further…

If they had IQ > 10 they would have called the tower, which is what everybody else does. But no, that procedure would indicate that they are subservient to the airport, whereas in reality the airport is just a place for them to sit around and is nothing to do with planes flying there, etc. It’s police politics, all over the place… Cherbourg, anyone?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I wasn’t quite so forthright as @gallois, but reading what you wrote in the first post on the other thread, I think that it was indeed a case of them thinking that you would approach them to declare you were departing, and you thinking they would approach you if they needed to see you… and the taxiway thing was because that was when they suddenly realised that yes, you were going to actually leave at that point!!

As I think I said before, whenever I have done the PN thing, anywhere, UK BF included, I note an earlier time for them than I expect to actually arrive/depart, and ask around if they are there. The last time I went though Calais, the Police aux Frontiers chopper was shutting down as I taxied in. I went and asked them if they wanted to see us as they were walking toward the terminal…no, they were there for lunch just like we were…

I was the ‘heavy’ crew on a flight to pick up an aircraft for ferrying. My colleagues on landing spoke to customs (this was Antwerp), and even asked whether they needed to speak to police. We remained airside and when I called for start clearance was told to go to a parking spot and report to the police. There I met a typical Sergeant Deux-Deux (in fact an Inspector) who advised I would be fined, for not having reported to the police on arrival, only 20 minutes earlier. I pointed out, recognising an awkward gendarme who didn’t have a clue a. I was not a crew member of the incoming flight, but of the outgoing b. had remained Airside c. Customs had advised no need to present ourselves on arrival d. Belgian was a signatory to the Chicago convention, so crew members remaining airside do not need to present themselves etc etc. All in my most polite manner in dealing with the equivalent of a remote one horse town border control; the irony that Antwerp is the main entrepôt for illicit drugs in the EU, was not lost on me. I took the Inspector’s name, number and badge and advised I would complain to our Consulate (UK). Subsequently my operator got a €600 fine, and hopefully they will contest it, although I think, technically it was directed at my colleague on the inbound leg.

Ferry flights can be fraught with airport security issues. On another ferry flight the local border control pointed out that I had gone airside without going through border control – a fair cop as I had arrived by airline at another airport, and picked up the aircraft in a hangar, which was airside. Fortunately, this was the enlightened Kingdom of Norway, and no problems arose.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

But when you saw them watching you, would it not have been a good idea, even through sign language, that you are offering to show your passport?

I appreciate that others have different views, but for what it’s worth, in the same circumstance, I would not have gone up to them either. If I’d given the notice, and they’d seen me, I’d figure that if they wanted to inspect me that they could. There is no point in inviting an inspection (and potential delay) when they weren’t planning on one.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

I appreciate that others have different views, but for what it’s worth, in the same circumstance, I would not have gone up to them either. I

Neither would I.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I cant help but think that if there is a PN for Customs or Immigration, then on arrival you ask if they are on site. If they aren’t there after the time you have indicated in your PN you will arrive/depart, then leave, happy that you have complied with their requirements. If they are there, ask them if they want to see you, if they say no, off you go. It just seems like common sense to me… but hey, maybe its just me…

Regards, SD..

@skydriller that’s exactly how I see it. If I was sitting in the plane and could see them watching me, before I started the engine I might homd up my passport and make some sort of hand signal to see if they wanted to see it. If they nodded and came forward, well I see no problem in that. If they signalled for me to go to them, well that’s a bit more troublesome but possible.
But you are the PIC and how you handle things is up to you. They are the police and how they. handle things is up to them. They do have the upper hand, whatever the rules of .engagement say.
Is it worth it for want of a smile and a word?

France

gallois wrote:

But you are the PIC and how you handle things is up to you. They are the police and how they. handle things is up to them. They do have the upper hand, whatever the rules of .engagement say.
Is it worth it for want of a smile and a word?

gallois, the problem is that if you are in a foreign country with some untrained personnel (most of them are not familiar what to do with GA crew and passengers), you risk going through very long and unnecessary steps.

EGTR

arj1 don’t you risk long and arduous steps if you don’t make the effort? After all @Peter was stopped at the holding point, engine running and obviously worried they were going to shoot him.

France

before I started the engine I might homd up my passport and make some sort of hand signal to see if they wanted to see it.

That’s a completely alien concept, in the world of pilot preflight briefing and other procedures.

If I was taxiing out and saw some cops watching me and not moving, I would reasonably assume they were watching me but had decided to not check me. That is also completely normal in aviation.

I got another comical situation at Salamanca where they stood outside in their office for 3hrs just waiting for me. They could see me from there but didn’t approach (while I was trying to get avgas in another ELP=0 situation). But maybe Spain has a law on seeking out the police, like Germany has.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message