Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 operating costs

For NA models:

Fuel: private owners often use 13GPH on average, but in a club environment, plan on 16.

CAPS maintenance: expect 20k$ in ten years, so divide that by the number of hours flown in 10 years,

Hangar: check locally

Insurance; no idea; the US market is very different from the European one.

Non-CAPS maintainance: the big unknown. Anything from 10k$ to 15k$ in a high-utilization, club environment in Socal, I would guess. And that is without the big items, so don‘t forget to add reserves for engine, prop, avionics and paint.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Aug 21:05
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Just „feel“ numbers:
G2/early G3 with Avidyne are in the 200-300k USD range. Upgraded DFC90 autopilot is fabulous. IFD440 instead of GNS430 is nice.

In Europe, I’d budget around 6-10k „airplane not moving cost“ a year for all excluding a hangar.

For a turbo in club use I’d double the numbers due to higher maintenance cost.

I’m sure someone here owns a nice G2 and can share some detailed info.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 13 Aug 21:06
always learning
LO__, Austria

Non-CAPS maintainance: the big unknown. Anything from 10k$ to 15k$ in a high-utilization, club environment in Socal, I would guess. And that is without the big items, so don‘t forget to add reserves for engine, prop, avionics and paint.

There are some interesting items which appear to be regular features. I vaguely recall there is a 4 digit priced nose gas strut or some such. I am not sure one would be too popular to discuss these items openly; it doesn’t take a PhD to work that out from past events

And will always be airframe parts which cost real money. The fuel burn, anybody can work out. The engine fund, ask a decent engine shop for the OH of a TIO-550. Avionics can cost anything from zero to thousands depending on how unlucky you get.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Maybe you were thinking of a different make? The Cirrus uses no struts in the undercarriage. The main gear is composite and energy absorbing – totally maintenance free and nose gear uses rubber pucks -rarely need replacing and when they do they are cheap as chips:

Cirrus Nose Gear Puck

The only regular things that are different are the Parachute and Rocket every 10 years, and the associated line cutters that take an hour or so to replace every 6 years. Honycomb seat energy absorbers might need replacing occasionally, but they are very low cost. If you have more complex accessories, such as TKS, Airbags, and so on, they need extra maintenance, as you would expect, but the three items (Parachute / line cutters / honeycombs) are the only Cirrus specific items that would not need dealing with on another type. On the plus side, there is no retracting undercarriage to service and maintain, and the composite airframe does not corrode and does not need re-painting or refinishing unless you feel the need for aesthetic purposes; no bare metal resprays and no internal corrosion risks.

Unless you regularly cross the Rockies, a turbo may not make sense in a club environment. The Spats are not robust enough for regular operation from bumpy grass runways, especially not in the winter. (oh but you are in SoCal, so you don’t have a “Winter!”

Last Edited by Pilot-H at 14 Aug 00:18

It is actually a nose gear inner shaft. Cost £2k+, reported roughly every 2 years.

Administrator

In French clubs, SR20s are at about 200-240€/hr and SR22 about 300€/hr.
Note that most clubs subsidize their complex planes with their training planes, so true cost are probably higher.

LFOU, France

@jujupilote a club in this area looked at an SR 22 and the turbo version. The figures came out at €300 per hour and €350 for turbo.
The problem came when someone pointed out that at that price they were likely to fly less hours a year so a reworking of the figures for lower annual hours came out at €350 and €390 an hour respectively. They had originally been working at between 300 and 400 hours a year and fuel at that time was €2.30 per litre. I think they recaculated to 150hrs a year.

France

The SR22 MM and parts list don’t show any “nose gear inner shaft” so it’d be interesting to have more details from the source on what part this actually refers to .

T28
Switzerland

Our local club had a SR20 and now sells it. Years before they had a Beech F33A and also sold it. The story was always the same. Cost per hour too high for the average club member. Too compley to fly for the average club member flying 10-20 hours / year. Maintenace more expensive than anticipated…

The real “bestsellers” in the club seem to be newer model year standard 4 seat planes. So a C172 with nice interior and paint, maybe glass panel, not too old so acceptable maintenace. Or a similar DA40 etc. They did buy one of those and the hours per year went up…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sorry – not able to get the pilot’s permission. A common situation…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message