Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 BRS parachute re-pack cost, and why is the chute mandatory?

This is now €20-25k – from here.

What is happening? It was 10k for many years. Then we have this 2015 post mentioning €15k.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Serious money. One would be tempted to use the chute just before expiry and collect the insurance money

Is there some sort of justification for such high cost, or is it just a matter of being a captive customer?

Is a Cirrus no longer airworthy without the chute overhaul? If that’s not true some may want to take the risk, like many do with rafts.

Last Edited by aart at 01 Mar 17:04
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Is a Cirrus no longer airworthy without the chute overhaul?

It’s not airworthy if parachute assembly is expired.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It’s not airworthy if parachute assembly is expired.

Well, if that’s true, then humankind is at a far greater risk than I ever thought possible.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

This post from 2015 was quite prescient.

Except that there probably isn’t an SR22 going for 50k.

Administrator

aart wrote:

Is a Cirrus no longer airworthy without the chute overhaul?

If I recall correctly, the reason is that the airframe itself doesn’t fulfil the certification requirement for ability to exit from a spin, and the parachute replaces that: exit from spin is by pulling the parachute.

ELLX

From Cirrus marketing material:

Modern production airplanes are, in general, not tested or certified for spins.

Aerobatic designs such as Extra and Sukhoi products are, of course, tested and certified for spins – but mainstream general aviation four-seat designs such as Cirrus, Cessna (182, 350/400), Diamond, Piper etc. are not certified for spins. Few 4-seat designs have ever been certified for spins.

For most pilots recognizing the early stages of a spin, or recovering a developed spin, is unlikely in any kind of airplane. Spins were eliminated from basic flight training decades ago; recovery from a developed spin is long gone from certification tests; and FAA data suggests less than 3% of inadvertent spins are recovered (regardless of the airplane), and probably none at low altitude. As such, from a general aviation point of view spins are a “loss of control.”

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

That’s mostly BS, surely, in the generality. @pilot_dar will know more. But we have had many other threads on whether the SR22 has been spin tested. IIRC it was not tested for FAA but was eventually tested for JAA/EASA. But yes this does explain why the chute being released to service is mandatory.

Maybe a ferry permit is possible. You can get these for MTOW plus “lots” (like 20%).

Administrator

As far as I understand this spin theory about the Cirrus is not true. The initial design did not comply with the FAA certification requirements but the series model does. There will be some Cirrus pilots here who know more.

Other than that it seems like touring aircraft don’t need to be spin certified.

For my Comanche spin is prohibited. So although I have trained and done spins quite some times, I don’t know how she behaves and I don’t actually like that I cannot train that.

Last Edited by UdoR at 03 Mar 08:16
Germany

UdoR wrote:

Other than that it seems like touring aircraft don’t need to be spin certified.

Spin-certified and spin-tested are two different things! And CS-23 clearly says the spin-exit characteristics that aircraft must demonstrate during the certification.
There was a video on Youtube somewhere how some of the Diamon aircraft spin-tested.

EGTR
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message