Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 operating costs (and is the 10-year BRS re-pack mandatory under EASA)

you are possibly missing that most Cirrus pilots/owners just keep out of Cirrus-specific forum threads (which is totally in their rights to do obviously), since there is nothing for them to be learned from these. It’s just plain “work” correcting all the recurring BS. This thread is a good example, right from the start.

I only see that almost ALL non Cirrus pilots here don’t understand the plane, know little about it (landing gear, avionics, prop control) but have very strong opinions about it.
Some of you are always on this mission, and it’s boring after a while.

No “mission” here. Just a discussion.

Michael is a mechanic and presumably bases his views on the planes which he has worked on.

I am just a pilot who happens to be / have been in contact with a huge number of other pilots – hence my involvement in EuroGA, etc, etc. I asked various questions, here and elsewhere, and have just pointed out that for some bizzare reason I didn’t get answers. Especially on the supposedly brilliantly informative COPA site.

Of course, most people won’t contribute anyway for various reasons (a recent thread here on that, too) but they are then not well placed to complain when incorrect information does spread.

When somebody posts incorrect info on the TB20, I pop in and correct it. This is an aviation community, not a pissing contest. EuroGA was started to create an informative site, to ultimately promote GA.

I asked a question above

What is the lowest RPM achievable before the MP starts to reduce? Presumably this must be altitude dependent, on the non-T version.

which neither of two SR22 owners has replied to – another example…

As regards the maintenance cost thread, it’s not hard for an owner to post figures, which will then settle the argument pretty well.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Flyer59 wrote:

I only see that almost ALL non Cirrus pilots here don’t understand the plane, know little about it (landing gear, avionics, prop control) but have very strong opinions about it.

Do I really need to tell you just how many aircraft, including Cirrus, I inspect every year ?

Do I really need to tell you how many shops and mechanics I see weekly and the thousands of hours of discussions concerning maintenance issues ?

But please, do tell us how you form your “very strong opinions”

Some of you are always on this mission, and it’s boring after a while.

Back at ya my friend !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

@ Peter
That’s funny how you say that i don’t answer questions :-)
Hey, i slept another two hours (in Germany we have a Sunday today!!)

@ Michael
I am very impressed that you “discuss these things thousands of hours” :-)
How come you still know so little about the Cirrus? Basically everything you said about the Cirrus in this thread was wrong. And when i ask for your sources, you don’t have any.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 22 Nov 09:35

You can reduce RPM from 2700 to 2500 without losing any MP, below 2500 both MP ad RPM are reduced.
(SR22)

Flyer59 wrote:

You can reduce RPM from 2700 to 2500 without losing any MP, below 2500 both MP ad RPM are reduced.
(SR22)

Where do Cirrus pilots get that information (well, except by looking at the MP and rpm gauges in flight)? It’s not in the POH. (At least not in the “obvious places”). The POH only says that

Moving the lever towards MAX opens the air throttle butterfly and meters more fuel to the fuel manifold. A separate cable to the propeller governor adjusts the governor oil pressure to increase propeller pitch to maintain engine RPM. The system is set to maintain approximately 2500 RPM throughout the cruise power settings and 2700 RPM at full power.

Which does not imply that MP is maintained initially as you pull back from full power. Nor the opposite of course.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 22 Nov 10:18
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Alexis – You obviously don’t understand exactly what I do professionally, 6 days a week, for a living.

Further, your “data” is gleaned from what, your personal experience with just one single SR-22, is that it ?

Last Edited by Michael at 22 Nov 10:13
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Wow its Sunday and I have yet to go to church and give thanks for such an entertaining morning.

The only downer is the aggressiveness of some of the posters. I find that Europeans by and large are not confrontational and prefer instead of the frontal attack, a less than obvious back door approach. For example “what did he mean by that?” Usually for me at least it takes a minute or two to digest the comments and realize the thrust. Being thus too late for the parry.

So I must assume that since its a faceless as well as anonymous (for most posters) forum they are emboldened to kick the dog as the saying goes.

Where is the popcorn?

KHTO, LHTL

You obviously don’t understand exactly what I do professionally, 6 days a week, for a living.

I do. I just think you don’t know much about Cirrus aircraft.

No, my data and knowledge about Cirrus Aircraft results from: beeing in contact with Cirrus Aircraft since February 1995, having visited the factory and production four times, having flown the original prototypes of the SR20 in 1996 and of the SR22 in 1999, still beeing in contact with the people who designed and build the airplane, writing (professionally ;-)) about Cirrus Aircraft since 1996, beeing an active member of COPA, running a Cirrus Aircraft information website, and, yes, flying an SR22 since 2013. And also from maintaining my SR22 together with people who know the type.

@ Aviathor

No, it is not well described in the POH, but you can see it in the cruise performance table. And of course it is an important part of the Cirrus Transition Training. If you are a member of COPA you can find a lot of information about it on the website.

Flyer59 wrote:

I do. I just think you don’t know much about Cirrus aircraft.

So I obviously don’t know Jack about Cirrus aircraft despite having performed over 100 Annual/100 hour inspections including every single model ever produced …

As I my wife would say,: whatever .

Last Edited by Michael at 22 Nov 10:55
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
Sign in to add your message