Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 operating costs (and is the 10-year BRS re-pack mandatory under EASA)

In a Malibu and P210, Continental cylinders last about 600h. I was under the impression that the SR22 and SR22T do very well in that regard due to the better cooling and digital engine monitoring installed in the complete fleet.

Peter, there’s DFC90 STCs for 182s with Aspen, for the Malibu, and for other types.

Many pilots regard the DFC90 higher than the GFC700.

Avidyne Entegra was the OEM glass cockpit, last version is 8.1, after that R9 came, but with new hardware too

Yes, today there are.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Flyer59 wrote:

That’s so much B.S. in one post that it cannot be answered, sorry.
(none of it is true)

Which part, the NG or the single lever Continental engine longevity part ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

achimha wrote:

In a Malibu and P210, Continental cylinders last about 600h. I was under the impression that the SR22 and SR22T do very well in that regard due to the better cooling and digital engine monitoring installed in the complete fleet.

Very unfair to compare pressurized to non-pressurized, turbo.

For a start, a significant % of the power goes into pressurizing the cabin.

Then it’s a known fact that pressurized aircraft spend far more time tine flight levels than non-pressurized, turbo aircraft. Not only do they spend more time but they tend to fly higher as well. All that means far more time spent climbing at or near full rated power.

Then there’s the issue of cooling efficiency at altitude.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

@ Michael

Engine: 100 %
NLG: 90 %

That is all correct and I’m aware of it. I just tried to establish the bottomline of the most stress and least reliable Conti engine installations. I believe 600h is a good average for these and I don’t know any (common) type where it is less.

I have read several reports of SR22s making the full TBO including the cylinders. I don’t remember if that was true for SR22Ts as well. I never heard of Cirrus as cylinder eating monsters unlike some others…

The T is, of course, more sensitive – just like all comparable a/c. The NA makes TBO just as often as comparable aircraft.

achimha wrote:

I believe 600h is a good average

If that is the average, I would like to know how the average pilot operates that engine.

You can’t do much really, those high power Conti cylinders just don’t last long. 800h would be very good.

You can’t even pull the throttle during descent, otherwise you suffer from hypoxia

Sign in to add your message