Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CIRRUS SR22 - Buying, Owning, Maintenance

AnthonyQ

If you had work done on three cracked jugs after 500 hours something is badly wrong.

I suggest you look at this webinar:

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1204537102001

I would also recommend you consider getting SavvyMx to manage your maintenance and, if you haven’t done so already, join COPA and look at the discussions about engine ops on there.

EGSC

Yes, I highly recommend COPA. You will find a lot of valuable information there and make some great contacts. It’s a very good source for parts and accessories too.

I believe the maintenance cost for a low time SR22 is, in average, 6k per year assuming around 100hrs flown each year and a non-easa registration. For an high timer SR22, this figure could climb to 10k per annum in average. Add or take 20% (turbo/nonturbo, hangared or not, etc…).
Also, in average, every hour put in the plane is worth in the market around 70 (na) – 90 (turbo) when comparing SR22 of similar vintage and model (so an SR22 with 1000 hours more than an otherwise identical SR22 is worth in the market around 70k-90k less).
Plus there is depreciation, i.e. the loss in value even if the plane is not flown: I would say 10k-15k per annum between 5 and 10 years from manufacturing (MUCH more during the first 3 years from manufacturing).

I hope this gives a better idea to a prospective SR22 buyer of the costs involved (the rest being fuel, insurance, hangarage, etc…)

Let’s hope for the best, Valerio ;-)

Valerio’s figures are in line with what I would expect for any IFR tourer, if all the work is done by a company, and nothing needs fixing.

The average Annual is about £5k (I know a 2.5k+VAT fixed cost is fairly standard but they tend to get inflated and then some people haggle it back down) and then the intermediate checks (which may be just an oil change) are about £500-600+VAT.

I spend about 1/3 of all this but then I invest a fair bit of my time, with the A&P/IA, doing it all in a rented hangar (for airfield-political reasons) but we do about 2x more than a company would do for the fixed price. This is much easier on N-reg.

When I used a fixed price company, we would sit down with the manufacturer’s MM and they would throw out about 2/3 of the items (mostly lubrication) and if I wanted them done it would be another 1k or so (inc VAT). Funnily enough the release to service always says “in accordance with the manufacturer’s MM”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, in your post you imply that you do some of the annual work yourself. how this works? what could any of us legally do to a Cirrus which is otherwise normally made during an annual?

Anybody can work under A&P (or EASA66 if EASA-reg) supervision.

The pilot can alone do stuff within pilot privileges, which are similar for N-reg and EASA-reg. This covers the 50hr checks (no idea about the SR22 100hr checks) except for AD compliance.

Otherwise, a pilot can do stuff like removing and replacing inspection covers and having a look around. Most of the Annual involves that sort of thing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Have a look at this video, after the 54th minute, for Timm Preusser presentation in 2013 about Cirrus in Europe.

Apparently there are 1000 Cirruses in Europe!
It also gives some hints why not many GA people in Europe participate (by writing, not just reading) to online forums like EuroGA or COPA: the english language could be a barrier for some.

Last Edited by at 07 Feb 21:38

Some days ago this SR20 cartwheeled in the USA after a landing gone bad … . From what i see on the pictures the carbon rollover cage did a good job, the pilot was injured but not life threatening.

Hello,

I have a Friend who, since i showed him some pre owned SR20 and 22 commercials is enthusiastic for it. I guess he could even afford one.

But i would like to show him some more figures, the aircraft would be operated out of Switzerland on a HB registry most likely.

As i know, there are some Cirrus owners in here, it would of course be interesting what cost you are calculating, best split by variable (fuel, engine CAPS Prop saving) and fix cost (can of course be quite different from Airport to Airport and and Insurance) per flight hour.

Thanks and best regards
Lucas

Sign in to add your message