Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CIRRUS SR22 - Buying, Owning, Maintenance

I have an Excel for my SR22, but it’s in German. If you want it: PM with you eMail!

Just landed in LKRK … Plane made a strange rattling sound on final approach when I reduced power, could not find out on the ground what it was after landing.

http://www.lkrk.cz/webcam.htm

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 18 May 10:33

Just a wild guess: Check your cylinder no. 5 exhaust joint. Requires removing the bottom cowling though.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Will do, thank you. Did you have that? 5 Is the front one on the right, correct?

Went back to the Airport … took the cowling off, found nothing, exhaust seems fine – except the plastic cover of the nose gear strut seemed a little loud … maybe that produced the sound, we’ll see.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 18 May 13:32

It’s the middle one on the right bank of cylinders.

This is a small design flaw in the SR22. The way the engine is installed creates stress on that part of the exhaust and leads to the exhaust breaking just behind the exhaust valve. Lots of Cirri have had this. Happened to us three years ago or so. This condition creates a rattling sound of the engine. Later versions of the aircraft received an improved exhaust.

But you need to have the bottom cowl down in order to see it.

Sorry, no #5 is the front one on the right side. The middle one is #3.

I took the complete cowl off (in my lunch break .. I’m too fat anyway) … but everything is looking good. My guess at the momengt is that it was the loose fairing of the nose gear strut … Will report tomorrow.

Ok. Yes, you are right on the numbering.

A shaking nose wheel feering sounds probable then.

I thought I’d bring this discussion back to life, as I’m trying to vice up on SR22s.

Having sat in a brand new (and incredibly expensive) SR22t GTS, I’m wondering how much “less” you get with the older versions?
- To Flyer59’s point in one of the initial posts, you obviously get close to the same performance from an old SR22, but I understand that the build quality left a lot to be desired, and the feel of the plane is to me one of the main reasons to consider Cirrus (otherwise I would likely stay with Mooney). Since the new Cirrus is so impressive, when did they make the big step?
- The new Cirrus is FIKI approved and I’m wondering how much less protection you get with the older TKS solution, legalities aside? The horizontal stabilizer is not protected the old system, but I understand that the horns are a bigger issue?
- The input on running cost is really useful as well.

EGTR

Pity you didn’t speak German (I guess!). Last year, I wrote a 25-page summary for PuF mangazine, on owning and operating a 2005 vintage SR22, which answers most of you questions. Still, I can send it to you in pdf if it helps you.

In short: build quality isn’t poor on the G2. Sure, they have in the meantime improved it even more, but not by huge margins. The very first 200 or so ever built weren’t really very luxurious, but after that, they are fine. They added some more bit of leather here and there with the G3 I think, but it was really a series of small refinements.

It’s hard to compare the two TKS systems one against the other. i only have experience with the non-FIKI system. By the way, there are three types: 1. the G2 type installation 2. the G3 type, but still non FIKI-installation, whose panels have a better coverage of the wing roots, horizontal stabilizer, etc, and 3. the FIKI version. I use the TKS as a get-out-of-here-without-icing-up-in-the-meantime system, and for that, it works fine. I don’t think I would fly the FIKI-Cirrus is moderate icing conditions and just sit it out.

I wonder if PUF would consent to the PDF being in the EuroGA Articles section? Normally, magazines don’t mind if they get a reasonable exclusivity on it e.g. 6-12 months.

EuroGA has a huge number of German based pilots reading it every day so a German article would be fine.

Could you ask them, @boscomantico?

No TKS on the horizontal stabiliser? That is IMHO serious, because icing there will happen at a similar rate to the wing, but is much more dangerous in terms of what happens where you get too much.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message