Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Asking for trouble, the Piaggio Avanti

Great airplane, congrats!! Only thing: Avantis are loud and even here banned from some airports. Could that be an issue in noise-sensitive Europe?

172driver wrote:

Great airplane, congrats!! Only thing: Avantis are loud and even here banned from some airports. Could that be an issue in noise-sensitive Europe?

I don’t know of any European airports that ban Piaggios. The takeoff noise is 84,5dB in the certificate. Some SR22s get higher values. The Evo version is a little quieter thanks to exhaust gas diffusers.

RV14 wrote:

That’s another cute aircraft, one of the few remaining in service is based at EPRU

That is another level of coolness. I’m not sure about the practicality, though.

LPFR, Poland

172driver wrote:

Could that be an issue in noise-sensitive Europe?

In Europe such things usually happen based on official noise rating numbers and there are no airplane type specific rules. Due to a number of reasons, the measured noise levels do not always line up with the perceived disturbance cause by the plane. So pusher props with unusual frequencies or Garret turboprops with a loud idle but good climb performance (noise is measured in the initial climb) have a certain advantage over here. Also heavier planes are allowed more noise while a person on the ground sitting in their garden probably does not care how heavy a plane is if it crushes the BBQ party.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Congratulations. Great aircraft!

I’ve operated an Avanti II around Europe for a fractional operator for the past 18 months without any problems and there are certainly no airports banning the type.

Maintenance costs can sting with no alternative but to pay Piaggio parts prices but otherwise similar operating costs to a King Air 200 but with Citation performance.

Let me know if I can be of any help. Based in Cannes but a regular throughout Europe.

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France

That’s cool, congrats and please update us on the flying intricacies of the Avanti. NCO with CJ performance is indeed intriguing.
If you can get any flight data logs (I assume it’s Collins PL21?) ping me please.

always learning
LO__, Austria

loco wrote:

Short runways

Amazing plane but how does it handle on short runways, I always assumed this was a weak spot of the different canard designs?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

Amazing plane but how does it handle on short runways, I always assumed this was a weak spot of the different canard designs?

I beg your pardon! :) This a three-surface aircraft, not a canard one!

EGTR

This a three-surface aircraft, not a canard one

Yep. The configuration of the Avanti bears no relationship with a canard type, such as the magnificent Beech Starship as depicted by RV14.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

arj1 wrote:

This a three-surface aircraft, not a canard one!

But the problem remains. The front wing, whatever we call it, generates some lift. This makes it very difficult to add massive flaps to the main wing as the front wing would then require similar flaps which must operate perfectly in sync. Any malfunction would create a major issue. Then the trailing edge of the main wing is partly used up by the engines, the main wing is quite short span anyway, so allowing little space for flaps to start with. A Google search suggest the low end of white arc is 93kt IAS. The Pilatus PC24 does seem to go as low as 82kt IAS with a higher MTOW.

I think the Avanti is a super cool aircraft ahead of its time. It claims a top speed slightly over 400kt TAS which is just amazing for a prop plane, beating quite some jets. But short field performance is probably not its strong point?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

But the problem remains. The front wing, whatever we call it, generates some lift. This makes it very difficult to add massive flaps to the main wing as the front wing would then require similar flaps which must operate perfectly in sync.

Sebastian, and they DO gave flaps on the canard of the Avanti – please check photos.
I think that is one of the reasons of such a great performance of that aircraft.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message