Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piaggio Aerospace into Receivership

I came across this article today. I’m sure somebody will be supporting the aircraft regardless… It might be a good time to buy one, as it was with Beechcraft a while ago.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Nov 18:33

Too bad. My dream plane. No one has died in one as far as I can tell. Came across this accident when reading about it. Disabling one engine and starting descent 1 hour before ETA to save fuel. Some fantasy from the pilot.

Last Edited by loco at 23 Nov 22:03
LPFR, Poland

I’ve had my eye on the P180 market for years because I’m obsessed with the damn things.

Just before this recent upturn, the older models went for well under $1million. A lot of bang for the buck. Now, the market has changed slightly and they’re up to $1.2-1.4 millon again. Fever on the market, too. But it is my prediction that during the next downturn, the oldest models will drop considerably below the previous low, especially with Piaggio now in receivership and the models even older. If the start creeping down towards $700K range, and my finances can support it at that time, I’ll try to do my best to snatch one up when that day comes. It’s just an itch that needs scratching. Although in many ways a later model Commander would be a more versatile upgrade and certainly more economical. The P180’s don’t have great range and are saddled with the same engine expenses of the “big bore” PT6’s that the TBM and PC12 suffers from.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 24 Nov 13:11
Doing a lot of comparison, for our purposes, between the Piaggio and the TC, we definitely came down on the TC being the more versatile aircraft.
EGKB Biggin Hill

AdamFrisch wrote:

If the start creeping down towards $700K range, and my finances can support it at that time, I’ll try to do my best to snatch one up when that day comes.

Just get one which is ready to fly and does not take 3 years before you can actually use it… How is your current ride btw? Anywhere close to finished ironing out the bugs?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The 3 years had to do with my wrong choice of mechanic, not the plane. I was slow to catch on to just how bad it was. She flies fine, but still got a few things to deal with.

Had her at other reputable shop for 4 months, also with very little progress. After radio silence for months they finally came back with that they couldn’t get to her phase inspection for yet another 4 months because they were so slammed… What is it with some aircraft maintenance shops/facilities? They don’t communicate. And then when they do communicate, it’s always saying they haven’t gotten around to it or “send more money”. Avionics shop took 7 months longer than promised, too. They’re like builders.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 26 Nov 07:47

I am surprised Piaggio is failing. They recently got contracts for building a UAV based on the Avanti for the Aeronautica Militare and the UAE. Does any Italian here have any info/background on this ?

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

I am surprised Piaggio is failing. They recently got contracts for building a UAV based on the Avanti for the Aeronautica Militare and the UAE. Does any Italian here have any info/background on this ?

Think the Italian Military was slow to pony up on the $700 million deal, so they ran out of cash. Sad – it’s one of the oldest aircraft manufacturers in the world, if not the oldest.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 30 Nov 08:15
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message