Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bunch of TB20s for sale in Portugal

lionel wrote:

10 years after last use, probably the liquidator / airport / hangar owner?

Maybe. I didn’t see them outside when I was at Evora two years ago. They were probably sitting in the hangar at that time (like Senecas still do) and someone decided to throw them out.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Strange it has taken 10+ years for this to be up for sale. When did the school go bust?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It could well be that the seller does not have that information yet, hence also the “inquire” for the pricing.

Some appear in, with props mounted, others are outside.

He also indicates that some inquiries have been made as to what is necessary to make them fly again. Most probably, those in the hangar might be easier to salvage than the others.

For someone who does restaurations or knows how to get such airframes back to work, it might be quite interesting. Certainly not for anyone looking for a cheapo TB20 to fly for themselfs… they may turn out still cheaper than others, but the actual money needed to make them fly will be considerable. Prop and engine overhauls will quite probably be needed as well as considerable work on the rest. However, as @Emir said, it is a very dry storage site, so corrosion may well not be a problem. I am not in the least concerned about the dirt on the airplane, I’ve seen enough restauration projects which looked worse and were surprisingly ok once a Kaercher or similar was used on it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The Senecas also appear on planecheck. 3 times Seneca V.

Again, the big question here is why someone would leave these aircraft rotting like this rather than selling them off? Maybe they’ve been in some kind of legal limbo that has taken years to sort out?

I mean those things aren’t unheard of up here and even less around the Med. Ever heard of the EU counter-litigation tactic dubbed “The Italian Torpedo”? :)

ESSL, Sweden

Dahlbeck wrote:

Maybe they’ve been in some kind of legal limbo that has taken years to sort out?

That is quite likely. I know several such cases, including some airliners which are sitting blocked over decades until all you can do with them is throw them away.

There was a King Air at ENVA. It was just sitting there for a couple of years, Finnish register I believe. Don’t remember the details, but it eventually became an insurance case. What happened was an American bought it from the insurance company. A couple of engine/aircraft experts came from the US. They checked and fiddled with the engines until they started, then flew to the US It was all done in a couple of days.

Last Edited by LeSving at 13 Nov 17:43
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

A couple of engine/aircraft experts came from the US. They checked and fiddled with the engines until they started, then flew to the US It was all done in a couple of days.

Quite sometimes airplanes look much worse than they are and can be resurrected quite easily. We had the case of a PA28 which had been sitting for almost 17 years. A friend asked me for assistance and I asked the overhaul company Cermec whom to send to look at the engine. They had an expert they use for such things and sent him to see the plane. The engine had no damage whatsoever and did not need any massive work safe from a good annual and new hoses. They ferried the plane a few days later and it got resurrected within a week or two of reaching the maintenance shop.

On the other hand I know the case of another airframe which had sat for 2 years and had amassed so much corrosion that it and the engine were scrap metal.

On youtube there are some rather impressive videos of planes and cars which look like the TB20/Senecas in Portugal. They then get washed. The results are often totally stunning. In other words, you can’t know what is under the birdcrap before someone uses a Kaercher or a similar device and cleans it.

ENVA is essentially desert climate, much like Arizona or inland California. I doubt corrosion is much of an issue in this case. The airplanes look like they belonged to the KLM school that was operating there last time I visited, about 12 years or so ago.

The paint will be well faded, and the IO540 cannot be inspected internally without a lot of work – unless you do this which almost nobody knows about.

Bird crap is really corrosive and eats through the paint. I had some on my cowling and it did a lot of paint damage. Fortunately the problem in the hangar got so bad that eventually they got an air rifle and shot the seagulls, and it’s ok now. This will need a repaint

What amazes me is that these expensive planes (today they go for 150k plus even in a basic condition) were not even covered. If nobody cared at all, then obviously nobody cared about anything else about them. And with so many airframe hours, I doubt the mechanical condition will be good.

But, there is always somebody around the corner, so those with an engine, which starts, will be bought by somebody who doesn’t worry about a prebuy.

What is interesting is that most are GTs, and GTs are not easy to find.

I don’t think Trondheim is a “desert” climate. I have a customer there and it is almost impossible to plan a flight to ENVA with a few days’ duration, because the wx is mostly rain, and moderate/severe icing conditions, interspersed with brief periods of VMC

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message