Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A real dog TB20 (CS-DDK) for €99000

https://www.planecheck.com/?ent=da&id=52867

PDF

Not up to the “standard” of this PA28R but just about everything shows signs of utter neglect and abuse. It could have been a nice TB20GT.

Look at the last photo – the landing gear.

Yeah, right.

The right price would be about 40k and even that assumes you can get all the parts in a reasonable time frame, say 1 year.

Might have been an ex school plane.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is a flight school in Cascais (where this TB20 is said to be) that had a rather big fleet of TB20s. I imagine some TB20s on Planecheck come from there. I think there are at least four announced with dimilsr descriptions, flown in 2012 for the last time. I don’t know the background though.

EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

Essentially, all GA aircraft in Portugal are or once were school planes. There is very little GA there outside the flight training context.

It really looks bad. But then, I guess that if based on the seaside in Portugal, even just the three years since 2019 might have done all this damage. So, it might just have been „ok“ until it was abandoned.

I agree that it‘s a project where nobody can foresee how much it will cost and what the timeframe might be.

Generally, and I get some stick for saying that every now and then, but from having followed the market and „scene“ for many years, I would never ever buy a used aircraft from Portugal, and to a lesser degree, neither from Spain or Italy. They just don’t take good care of their aircraft there, generally.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 Apr 07:20
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I agree – it’s very evident. The Q is why. Is this something “cultural”? It might be; I always remember landing at Granada in 2008 and every other plane there (maybe 10) had been abandoned for years, except mine, and a pleasure flight Partenavia. Maybe a plane was just something you bought when you got some €€€ because you got a building contract job (a bit like, in CV19 lockdown, half the people around here buy a dog, often an unusual type, and then discover it needs to eat, and s**t) and then when you didn’t quite have some €€€ anymore you left it to rot. But perhaps that is how the schools operate their assets; much the same here too although not quite as bad.

What would worry me (and I know a fair bit about the Socata scene) is getting hold of all bits needed. Socata are quoting silly lead times for odd bits, which were last made 20 years ago by the proverbial “little man in a wooden shed”, or by some company which went bust and/or was bought by a US company which then stripped off all the slow moving products (example: antennae; vendor bought by Amphenol US). And Socata dealers will not assist with this kind of job; you will have to get all the part numbers and send them in for a quote. Or ship the plane to Tarbes and give them 200k to make it “as new”

The avionics look dreadful but might still actually work.

I recall the other stuff from that school; abandoned many years ago. This plane says “This aircraft was last flown in 2019. ARC expired on Apr 2021.” so somebody was flying it.

Administrator

If you bought this plane for €99, 000, shipped it to Tarbes and got is restored as new for €200,000, would that be a good deal? Especially considering the cost of buying a new aircraft of similar capabilities , at the moment.

France

They were abandoned by a flight school ten years ago – caveat super emptor

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Generally, and I get some stick for saying that every now and then, but from having followed the market and „scene“ for many years, I would never ever buy a used aircraft from Portugal, and to a lesser degree, neither from Spain or Italy. They just don’t take good care of their aircraft there, generally.

Agree, in fact post Brexit most EU high performance seem to sit if not N reg.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

If you bought this plane for €99, 000, shipped it to Tarbes and got is restored as new for €200,000, would that be a good deal? Especially considering the cost of buying a new aircraft of similar capabilities , at the moment.

Depends on the detail. My 200k figure was just a guess. You would have to buy it and ship it there (or get them to inspect it somewhere) and then if you find out they can’t do it??

Actually Socata buy up these sorts of planes, part them out, print off fresh EASA-1 forms, and sell the parts as-new That helps to mee the demand for unusual (not regular service) parts. For example bulkheads, for damaged planes.

in fact post Brexit most EU high performance seem to sit if not N reg.

That’s always been the case; most of the “seriously travelling” IFR community was and remains N-reg.

Administrator

boscomantico wrote:

I agree that it‘s a project where nobody can foresee how much it will cost and what the timeframe might be.

The 70k to get it airworthy, most of it should be the engine overhaul which they indicate is needed. If the plane has been sitting for 2 years and the engine is practically at TBO, I reckon that is a good idea to do. So what does one of those cost? 50k?

Otherwise the only thing which can tell what this plane needs to get safely airworthy is a proper PPI by a TB savvy engineer. It looks like a dog maybe, but unless someone goes over it there is no saying. 2 years is not an eternity.

There is a series of other TB20GT as well as some Seneca V’s probably of the same school sitting there waiting for some adventurous soul with a huge bank account and even larger patience and endurance for sale there too. Looks like this one got away and was used, most probably untll TBO run out an the owner got the quote for the overhaul.

With today’s prices however, all of those, proprely done and flogged thereafter, might well be interesting, provided most work can be done in-house. Engine overhauls are largely known quantities. It’s the rest which makes or breaks a plane ^s viability. In today’s market where very few airplanes are around and those which are are usually pretty badly equipped, projects like this can still be profitable if taken on by a shop who knows how to make those planes fly.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 10 Apr 23:33
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

An OH, by a good US shop, would be about €40k, unless the crankshaft is corroded in which case it would be roughly €60k. With the obvious external corrosion, plus presumed internal problems, the €70k is fiction.

It is very likely there is extensive airframe corrosion, and that can’t be fixed.

If it was say €30k instead of €99k, then in the absence of airframe corrosion somebody could take this on, and part it out if they find problems.

Administrator
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message