Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Who needs an ARC - Not Ryanair it seems

If I am a PPL carrying 150m passengers a year, I will get away with it, for the moment 2pob, so I have 149,999,998 to go

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The question is would a lowly PPL with a SEP have gotten the same exception.

From my experience, no. Croatian CAA wanted to ground my TB20 with perfectly correct paperwork because one of the inspectors thought that propeller had to have sticker from overhaul. I invited him to compare engraved serial number with OH documentation but he remained stubborn even when I asked him to show me OH stickers on commercial turboprop parked near by. Then I send e-mail to agency director quoting regulation and it was resolved in matter of hours.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

To be fair, the answer is probably yes. Our own dear CAA are usually ok about genuine paperwork mistakes (if that is what it is) in my experience. Even the insurers, which as are so often the real problem, God forbid anything goes wrong when the paperwork is out of order, will usually consider whether it was a genuine mistake and what impact it could have had on the event. Of course if the actual air worthiness work had not been done, all bets would be off, and there is no doubt the consequences very serious indeed.

I hate to bring up the question of the infringement discussion again, but this is yet another example of why this policy is so out of line with the general framework of how mistakes and errors are addressed. As I have said before, the reality is had you asked the same question about the difference in approach between a CAT pilot making an infringement mistake while on CAT duty and a lowly PPL and whether the answer would be whether they would be dealt with in the same way – the answer would be a very firm no. The PPL would face discrimination, unfair penalty and unreasonable behaviour on the part of our regulator. A discussion we have had elsewhere and another example of why this policy is so disasterous. One rule for one, another rule for eveyone else is, how I think it can be best summed up.

The question is would a lowly PPL with a SEP have gotten the same exception.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

it would be fun to find out how exactly they managed to make such a mistake in their paperwork.

Wouldn’t it even more “fun” to find out first what really happened / they really did wrong? There’s not much information available about this beyond the mention in the coverage on a completely different topic.

As they were sure and able to prove that all planes are actually airworthy, perhaps it has only been a mistake in formalities (e.g. they produced and stored the ARCs electronically while the CAA insists on paper copies for each plane ?!?).
That would obviously not be such “great” story for all the RYR-haters, though…

Germany

Seconded – I will never fly RYR as long as he is at the helm. I don’t understand why the shareholders put up with him.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

BeechBaby wrote:

The thing I could never understand with the management at RYR was why not do the whole thing ’’nicely’’. They always had a hard nasty edge to everything they did.

That’s not difficult to understand, is it? It’s because the CEO has a genuinely unpleasant personality.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The austrian subsidiary has been in the news quite often during the last few weeks. Apparently management pilots stepped down due to “issues” and were immediately fired. Some cabin crew fired because they had too many sick days. Not good.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Very interesting. My take is it is dependent on base and contract. There are a few thousand ryr pilots, so my sample size is tiny.

always learning
LO__, Austria

A few years ago they were truly dreadful in the Customer Care department, however of late they have improved markedly. In fact, better than their rival Easyjet, who with the demise of Carolyn McCall have truly gone to the dogs in the Customer Service department . I also know a few of the RYR pilots who swear that they are wonderful to fly for. An Easyjet Captain I know hates EY. He is Ex BMI..(737) Punishing and unfair bid process for routes. He was so knackered that he took himself off roster and on sick.

It may have changed but he was not a happy bunny.

The thing I could never understand with the management at RYR was why not do the whole thing ’’nicely’’. They always had a hard nasty edge to everything they did. Better now……..perhaps someone woke up

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message