Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which countries allow private strips / operating from your own land, and how hard is it to organise (and airfields for sale)

Ultranomad wrote:

….a quick search reveals that Rathkenny airfield was for sale as early as 2007. Has it really been on the market for 9 years unsold? Strange.

Have you considered the possibility it was for sale then, was bought by someone who now wants to sell?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

There are several air parks in France, and you can find houses for sale on many of them. (One of them, advertised in a British magazine, comes with a hanger, it’s probably hangar misspelled, but it amuses me to think that it’s an attempt to sell a hanger for the price of a hangar.)

Many houses with private airstrip are for sale as well.
From time to time you can even purchase a real aerodrome (Argentan, Ambert-Le Poyet), or a microlight flight school with it’s own airstrip.

Paris, France

AfricanEagle wrote:

Not in Europe, but for sale.

http://www.barbertonairport.co.za/forsale.htm

Interesting, the property, but also the background of this sale. It seems the property is owned by the famous bush / film pilot, and instructor, CC Pocock. He’s probably selling because he’s moving his BushAir flight school to the US. As for the motive, it might be related to the recent intention of the South-African CAA to restrict landings of aircraft to airports, so no more bush flying.

It seems unbelievable — even in a huge unpopulated country like South Africa with tons of space, bureaucrats need to restrict GA. Does anybody know that background of this?

Last Edited by Zorg at 22 Apr 21:51
LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

South Africa is having major problems, on just about every front. The government is just about finished. Justine originates from there and gets regular updates.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Wow! Barberton airport is for sale for only 450 k$! Unless there’s a mistake somewhere, this is incredible value for money. If we give 1000eur each, it could become the Republic of EuroGA :-)

LFNR
If we give 1000eur each

If we invest 1000 € – but are there 450 of us? Mind you, I might consider acquiring more than one 1000 € share, and am perhaps not the only one.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

So would I, providing I’m allowed to drive the Land Rover firefighting truck around the property!

LFNR

Here is one in Portugal, for us of a certain demographic, with interesting tax advantages…

http://ukga.com/classified/view?contentId=39085

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Why is Portugal only for old pilots?

I knew a TB20 owner who built a wonderful hard runway in N Spain; then he died (illness; not aviation related).

A few years later:

From his last email:

Bearing 350 from LEVD and 9 NM. Altitude 2740 feet. The field was opened in September 1999, and the name is “EL CARRASCAL”.

I have no idea how he did it. OTOH the various aspects of the Spanish planning process are rather well known to many Brits France is probably somewhat more transparent…

[just realised the above is same place as my post #23 further back ]

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

…Peter for those whose freedom bus pass is around the corner, Portugal offers a ten year tax free deal if you are a retiree and are a property owning resident, also Portuguese real estate appears to be recovering, at least until the next downturn.

That’s a nice private field in Spain.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message