Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which countries allow private strips / operating from your own land, and how hard is it to organise (and airfields for sale)

I am happy to put them in touch, but that simple rule is in place for a very good practical reason.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter, perhaps that was a bit premature, the place looked perfect for @buckerfan

Advertisement deleted, due to zero prior forum participation – Guidelines.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Indeed, the DGAC may not care if it’s private. But they still get sent a copy of the dossier (along with the approval decree if it was approved).

Anyway, the legal puzzle is coming together ^^
I found the original decree defining the contents of the documents to include in the request, dating back to 11 oct. 1960 (available here)
I still don’t know if this decree was modified later, and the Journal Officiel is a scan of the 1960 paper version (it’s not searchable).

In the approval request form , as compared to the decree, they additionally ask for the mayor’s opinion and possible impact assessment as required by the environmental law (of which I believe there is none if the runway is less than 2100m). And there are no enforced flight restrictions in Luberon since it’s a regional park (only national parks have 3300ft minimum fly-over height).

Good news, it may be more feasible than I thought !

France

One question is whether it is to be used regularly or just on occasion. From what you have written it could come under a UL field which just needs permission from the prefecture but for political expediency I would consult the mairie first.
If you are not intending it to be a CAP field there is little reason for the DGAC to be interested.
With no neighbours there is no one to stop you putting lights in, but don’t forget that ULMs are day only VFR.
Be careful if its an nature area but then the prefect will consider that.

France

Capitaine wrote:

I had a long talk a few years ago with someone who did it. You’ve probably already seen it, but I posted a summary earlier up the thread. Hopefully still relevant.

Yes, I’ve only just noticed it, thanks !

As far as the law is concerned, I think it’s still relevant (and it’s the first time I see the approval request form).

France

I had a long talk a few years ago with someone who did it. You’ve probably already seen it, but I posted a summary earlier up the thread. Hopefully still relevant.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Has anyone had any experience creating a private runway in France ? How would the paperwork look like ?

This idea has been inside my head for a few years for a specific property, and I want to have an idea of how big of a hassle it would be:

• 400m almost entirely flat (although with a forest on one end)
  • about 200m flat at the other end, which could reasonably be added to the strip, and a few trees at the end (which may also reasonably be cut down)
  • it’s in Luberon, which is theoretically a highly protected natural area
  • it’s so remote that neighbors are unlikely to pose a problem for private use
  • the goal is to make a grass strip, probably more suited to STOL planes, but I’d also be interested if anyone has experience operating more complicated infrastructures like night lights or ILS (!)

From my understanding the authorization for a private runway only has to go through the “Préfecture”, but I’m betting they will call in guys from the DGAC to make sure everything checks out in terms of security (let alone environmental / nature preservation agencies).

France

MedEwok wrote

The tone of the report is very friendly and positive of the “flying farmer’s” activity.

A heartwarming video; thank you for posting. It worked in the UK and I even understood some of it with my schoolboy German 😀

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

UL airfields vs. proper airfields is a big difference in terms of feasibility in Germany.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
253 Posts
Sign in to add your message