Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which countries allow private strips / operating from your own land, and how hard is it to organise (and airfields for sale)

Italians aren’t typically “European”, whatever “European” is supposed to mean in this context. I think you will find Scandinavian way of life very similar to west coast Canadian way of life, more than any other place on the globe, the rest of Europe included. Very far from Italian, that’s for sure. I don’t see what this has got to do with anything airpark though. We have a popular series on TV, It’s called (translated) “Where no one would believe that anyone could live”. It’s literally about homes where people live (in Norway), where “no one” could imagine anyone could live. Some of them have to use ladders and ropes to get home Others have to travel by boat for hours.

I have never lived at an airpark. Who knows, maybe I would like it – but – there is this thing called a wife also … The both of us would probably be better off further away in the country side on a small farm with a private strip, and we also could do some farming/fishing etc.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I would love to have my home runway. I honestly also don’t know why it should be a problem to have one at the edge of town. If its only for your own use, and you have say 10 movements a month, the noise disturbance for your neighbours is negligible. If you take care not to take-off or land in the “noise sensitive” hours, all the more so. Since you will be legally restricted to Day VFR, that already takes care of a lot of “noise issues”. In Germany I would also try to avoid movements at noon (roughly noon to 3pm) and if possible on Sundays.

Still, this is wishful thinking. The actual resistance on the ground would be very strong, even if one cleared all the bureaucratic hurdles (unlikely).

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Yes; this is exactly it: every pilot would like their own runway, so long as few or zero other people use it

But it helps financially if there are others. I have looked at a few such projects (establishing a strip) and I would have always gone for a group. But guess who would have been the project leader, choosing the others? Same with any syndicate; you want to start it and then you choose the others, making sure you get on with them, they have enough €€€ to pull their weight, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

GA_Pete wrote:

Some people live near a thundering railway line and ‘never hear the trains’
I wouldn’t choose a railway but I would choose a runway.

At a place like Spruce Creek there is enough space that driving around the neighborhoods it’s not obvious that you’re at an airport. I don’t think noise would affect me at all there, it would anyway not be high on my list of concerns with only 68 operations a day.

Having thought about location a bit, I think the biggest issue for me with a relatively remote location would be access to an international airport to fly commercially, or at least a nearby regional airport with easy security and good connections. Otherwise relatively remote would be fine.

There’s a recurring theme in this thread to the effect that people who live near an existing or proposed private airfield will automatically object to it.

I think that’s a misapprehension based on a few unfortunate anecdotes. My experience and that of friends who fly from their homes is quite the opposite.

We try not to annoy our neighbours (for instance by a self-imposed limit of a couple of “circuits” on a calm summer afternoon or evening – there’s little point practicing in such conditions anyway), and we are ready to lend a dumper, excavator etc. if they have a bit of heavy “gardening” to do, or a tractor and long rope if they need to pull a bullock out of a bog. We try to let them know if we have some heavy metal inbound so the kids (and grown-ups) can come and watch. The fun seems to be in direct proportion to the cacophony – a French military Twin Otter rates slightly below a Chinook or a clatter (is that the correct collective noun?) of RAF Pumas.

When our neighbours have visitors, the children inevitably want to come and be photographed sitting in a bushplane or a helicopter.

Another example is a friend who recently started to fly from his home in Ayrshire. It’s an area where most people struggle to make ends meet and few could dream of flying an aeroplane. Still, they like to walk out to “their” local airfield in the hope of seeing some flying – or just to chat with the approachable owner.

Bottom line: it is possible, with any activity or none, to piss people off. Clearly, a few airfield owners manage this over time, or they simply start on the wrong foot. But the vast majority do co-exist in peace with the help of a friendly demeanour and a bit of “give and take”.

Last Edited by Jacko at 14 Jun 17:11
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I live beside a 300m by 20m grass field with roughly cow pasture quality. My pipe dream is having something like an electric Carbon Cub with folding wings and use that to commute to work. I don’t see why my neighbours shouldn’t use that for flying (the field, not the plane!) as well. Yes, an airplane is loud but so are motorcycles, lawn mowers, cars etc. I also live next to a railway line which is mostly quiet except for the occasional 120 ton Ukrainian two-stroke diesel engine which is loud but starts quiet and continuously gets louder until it slowly fades. So while the trains are sometimes a little bit louder, they are not annoying at all unlike some cars which define sportiness by the amount of farting they do when downshifting. Their constantly changing noise patterns are far more annoying. Leaf blowers anyone? One day I’m going to kill my neighbour over his arsenal of power cleaning tools.

One the other hand it’s often not the noise that is the real problem. Like the (GA) airplanes that fly over my head on a nice Saturday afternoon while I am working in the garden. Some are even making nice noise but I hate them for flying while I have to work. The latter problem could be solved by being nice to the people around your airfield but it turns into a chicken and egg problem when you are trying to establish a new airfield.

EDQH, Germany

Silvaire wrote:

At a place like Spruce Creek there is enough space that driving around the neighborhoods it’s not obvious that you’re at an airport

Much like my home town actually 3-4 days ago after dinner I heard the unmistakable rumbling of a large turboprop heading straight over my house. Jumped out on the veranda and saw a C-130 straight overhead. Turned on my airband receiver and could hear a woman pilot turning base for a touch and go. Grabbed my phone and took a few pictures of it. Now, why they were doing touch and go in a C-130 at 6-7 in the afternoon, I have no idea. They did 3 or 4 touch and go, then went off to some IFR clearance somewhere.

Right now the airport (ENVA) is perfect for GA. Few CAT around, open 24/7, 10 min drive from my house. Before Corona it could be difficult at times due to all the Boeings. If it wasn’t for CAT though, it would have been houses all over the place. There is no way the general public would have accepted the noise and land use in particular, if it didn’t create money and jobs.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The term “build it and they will come”, doesn’t seem to have originated in Europe…

Europe’s problem is that they are already there. The other they round is easy given enough funds.

EDQH, Germany

I found selfish to be a pilot but say « I would never stand the noise of others flying over my house ». Everywhere we fly, some non-pilots have to bear with the noise we make. We must be willing to suffer what we inflict to others.

I would definitely live in an airpark, if I found a friendly commmunity and a convenient location. I asked my fiancee who said no for 2 reasons : noise (she doesn’t want to stand it but I do as written above) and being in a 100% aviation scene, which means people from the same slices of society if you see what I mean. But Ok to find a house 10 minutes from an airfield

LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message