Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What's wrong here?

The answer was simply that I was flying an ILS with loads of tailwind. One could not land anyway due to 20kt+ of tailwind on the runway; it isn’t long enough. One would have to circle to land.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

150 kts is a good speed for when you are directly over the airport, aligned with the runway at pattern altitude. A tight 2 G turn to downwind, flop chop prop and drop, a continuous turn to short final and then having burned off all that energy you’re on the ground a minute or so later.

I see no reason why you couldn’t do a non precision instrument approach and circle to land in that manner

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Dec 14:48

Malibuflyer wrote:

“150 until 3 miles final” is actually exactly what I offer to controllers on busy airports

I tried the same with the Cub, strangely the controller did not believe me

ENVA, Norway

Peter wrote:

You would probably not land from 150kt GS at 3nm…

“150 until 3 miles final” is actually exactly what I offer to controllers on busy airports when I’m in plenty VMC and know that there is heavy metal behind me catching up…

Germany

Peter wrote:

You would probably not land from 150kt GS at 3nm…

You can always open the door and leave the gear up

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You would probably not land from 150kt GS at 3nm

Why not?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Bit confused by your explanation, could not sleep so tried to work out your puzzle. I inferred you had 159kts GS, I could maybe make out the 15x on the DME. The Lydd, ILS 21 referred to earlier which maybe your are using has a 3.5 degree GS and suggests a VS of 980ft at that speed. Which is of course a touch fast with a “bit” of a tailwind… Which is perhaps what you meant?

I did notice the Sandel shows RNG 3% which is actually wrong, but I guess that means it is just in ILS mode?

Last Edited by Ted at 17 Dec 09:32
Ted
United Kingdom

The VS is indeed about 2x too high. The answer is here:

Practice ILS, go-around at DH. You would probably not land from 150kt GS at 3nm…

The funny digit on the EDM700 is just an artefact of display multiplexing and the phone camera “shutter” duration. The only way to shoot avionics, I find, is at 1/80 or slower.

I think this is a good thread to continue with others’ situations

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Your Sandel has a mouse in it, proceed with a CAT-I approach.

ESME, ESMS

Either you pulled alternate static air or airmass is sinking at -10kts?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
63 Posts
Sign in to add your message