Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What's wrong here?

Wait … that reg is for an Airship!

Edit: see wikipedia – D-L*** is reserved for airships.

I only got this by googling the reg and being surprised that it didn’t appear on any spotter’s forums.

Last Edited by jwoolard at 19 Jan 20:49
EGEO

Except it is D-ETKM

Last Edited by simonsorcerer at 19 Jan 20:50
EDNW, Germany

D’oh

EGEO

The planes I fly are not 3° pitch up in level flight. And with a mechanical AI I adjust it the way that it’s exactly on the line.

One thing which is definitely wrong is that the AI is showing a zero pitch angle

You can adjust the zero pitch line with the knob on the AI. Most people prefer it to show zero pitch on level flight. It was one of the things that I had difficulties with when transitioning to a glass cockpit because it shows a pitch in cruise which I was not used to. And something that is greenish in 2014 could have been blue in the 1970s

At this RPM and level flight the TAS is mutch to high!

EDAZ

Alright, I’ll give you 90% of the solution.
Muelli got close to it, but didn’t quite make the point…
Cheshunt is even closer.
Look at the ASI in a little more detail:

I admit it was not easy to see on the first pic.
I’ll remind you that the OAT was 41 degrees F.
Anyone make a guess at what might have happened at some point of time in the past?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 19 Jan 21:16
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

So somebody needs to turn on the pitot heat?

EDNW, Germany

(Peter, Achim – yes my Avidyne PFD shows abou 1.5 deg pitch in level flight too – i was not even aware of that!)

The whole ASI looks weird. The subscale appears to be set right for 41F and the altimeter reading, yet the TAS of 120kt is way too high for an IAS of 100kt. Given that MPH is 15% over knots, it looks like the TAS ring is in MPH instead of knots. But I have never seen such an instrument.

Certainly there is no way to get 120kt TAS with a 100kt IAS at just 2700ft.

The planes I fly are not 3° pitch up in level flight.

Almost all “normal” planes, right up to heavy jets, fly at about 2.5 deg UP pitch in cruise. If yours shows 1.5 then I would suggest checking the zero is correctly levelled as per the PFD IM because that appears a little low. However, pitch is something that takes care of itself and will be a given value for a given speed and loading envelope configuration; it is roll errors which are nasty and often the result of crap rigging. 1.5 deg would suggest you are flying quite front-heavy, which is not good for MPG, due to lots of elevator drag.

Last Edited by Peter at 19 Jan 21:22
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message