Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What percentage of planes "for sale" are not really for sale, and vice versa?

No way would I use a broker acting for the seller with “getting a pre-purchase inspection done”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

No way would I use a broker acting for the seller with “getting a pre-purchase inspection done”

Depending on the country’s legal circumstances I would say. In Germany the person doing the inspection will be liable so he better does a proper job – no matter who pays him for it.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Anytime yo have to “call for price”, the seller/broker is delusional almost without exception. They know it’s way overpriced and are relying on either:

A) Clueless buyer walking straight in from the cotton fields.
B) Convinced they can talk you into it. “It’s in annual”, “it’s been babied”, “it’s in great shape, one owner”, “it’s got a new battery” etc.

I stopped calling or even emailing on ads without a price. It’s a waste of my time. You want to sell it – put a price on it.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 02 Sep 18:20

The reason most are overpriced is because the modern culture is to make stupid low offers.

We have a holiday property which we let; for the busy weeks I don’t even reply to enquiries from certain countries, such as Ireland, because I know they will offer me half the price I ask, sometimes less. I stick to my prices and always make the lettings I need, so why take the hassle.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Depending on the country’s legal circumstances I would say. In Germany the person doing the inspection will be liable so he better does a proper job – no matter who pays him for it.

I think if you do a prebuy for someone and you do it in a “professional” capacity then you are liable for having done it negligently, everywhere. In some countries payment may be necessary (not sure about the UK).

I’d imagine it is awfully difficult to go after somebody for compensation, however. I have done some TB prebuys but only informal ones – a quick look-over to say this plane has not seen grease since it was made, never mind having had some applied to it

The reason most are overpriced is because the modern culture is to make stupid low offers.

However, like some really crude night club chat-up line, it does work just often enough, which is why people do it

Administrator

However, like some really crude night club chat-up line, it does work just often enough, which is why people do it

Peter, I never cease to be amazed by the broad range of subjects on which you have some expertise :-)

EGTF, LFTF

Peter, I never cease to be amazed by the broad range of subjects on which you have some expertise :-)

You should attend the EuroGA fly ins more often, denopa ;-)

In the 1970s I knew 3 guys who would walk up to every girl they fancied in a club and say “do you or don’t you”. They got a roughly 10% Yes rate. This meant they were “home” by midnight, while the others were still “working on it” at 4am. This % has been independently verified all over the place (not by me however) and I am sure it would be a lot higher today

I don’t even reply to enquiries from certain countries, such as Ireland

Do you get the client to write to you, or just click on a website option? I think one can judge a great deal from how someone writes.

Administrator

10%‘s a very good hit ratio. Much better than the reply rate you get with mail adverts for a business for example. The advantage of doing it in a night club is that the population has “shown an interest” in meeting people by being there, it’s positive selection. I’d expect the hit ratio would be much, much lower if you were doing it in the street.

EGTF, LFTF

Indeed (though Daniel Craig would achieve 10% easily there too ) and equally aircraft adverts are from “willing parties”.

And there will be a % which are not really for sale and who are there just to see what sort of interest they can get (a good comparion then really )

In the last few weeks I have seen numerous TB adverts and most of them were overpriced by about 1/3 relative to what I know certain representative instances were actually sold for.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message