Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What percentage of planes "for sale" are not really for sale, and vice versa?

Thanks Finners, actually I didn’t elaborate on my situation, but I am not actually selling. One guy in my group share is probably going on to the NPPL for medical reasons and thinks he will have issues flying an N reg, the other two are in their 70’s and 80’s and are looking to sell. I am lucky being the young person in the group, and at the moment they’re just looking to sell shares some time this year. All being well, they will sell their shares and I will have some new flying partners where I am based now. Worse case, maybe the whole airframe will be sold and then I need to consider either another share in something, or renting for a while (boo) or be sensible and put whatever I spend on flying into a bigger mortgage.

Nevertheless I value the plane between £40 – 45K.

There you go… option 5, you don’t want to sell at all.

I didn’t include shares in my earlier post. This brings a whole new dimension – the bank balance of the group should be taken into consideration.

Logically, a share is less of an outlay than a whole aircraft and therefore more affordable, which could make it easier to sell. 4x share price might equal more than 100% of the market value and especially likely if the bank balance is very healthy.

If 3 shares are for sale at the same time there could be a negative influence, depending on how buoyant the local share market is. Someone at my airfield has sold his aircraft because he couldn’t find buyers for the shares in it (at £5k, no bank balance) – hopefully different where you are.

EGTT, The London FIR

A friend has been trying ‘on and off’ to sell his Comanche 180 for two or three years. Right now its being advertised but frequently during that period it’s fallen into the category described by this thread.

It’s a beautiful plane, with about 250 hrs on an overhaul by a well known guy, with new accessories. The unique thing about it is that it’s mostly an untouched original plane, including the paint and panel, and well maintained its whole life. That makes it need the right kind of buyer with a collector as well as flyer mentality. $32K USD at the moment, price just dropped. He paid about that 20 years ago with a high time engine! For my POV, it’s a case of too many low priced planes and not nearly enough time.

Meanwhile some of the Comanche owners cars, including an Alfa he originally bought for $1K as a kid in 1974, have become very expensive collectors items. It’s a strange world

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Jun 13:32

I often get asked for a view on how much a certain TB aircraft for sale is worth. About 2/3 of them are overpriced by about 30%.

It has been said that dealers don’t want to price realistically because it would bring down the whole market and customers would then want 30% off that.

But also a lot of people seem to put their planes for sale because

• they are getting divorced (you get a much better deal, especially access to children, if you look like you are generally heading for the gutter)
  • they are trying to get a bank loan for their business (the bank wants to see a significant financial sacrifice by the borrower)

but they want the sale to never happen, so you get e.g. a basic 2002 TB20GT for £200k+VAT

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My view on assets is that they are always for sale, at the right price, and as you alluded, most sellers kid themselves about how much their assets are actually worth. Most buyers are looking for bargains……they think the seller has to sell, in most cases, and in some circumstances this is true. So a middle ground exists, where the seller and buyer must meet. If they get there, happy days. The introduction of an agent/dealer tends to muddy the waters somewhat. They are commission hunters, and want the turnover, so are happy to chat the buyer into the bargain he is getting, and attempt to coerce the seller into what a poor market it is, and boy are you lucky to be even getting an offer. That said, the agents do have a network, and means to getting your asset to market. You takes your choice.

I hate selling things…..like buying though

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I believe intermediaries are useful in many illiquid markets. But not all intermediaries are equal of course.

EGTF, LFTF

Have only sold with an intention to sell, and used Klaus Kuehl who I would highly recommended as a serious, informed, straight shooter. The good brokers filter out the invariable tyre kickers.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

How much does a broker cost you?

I believe intermediaries are useful in many illiquid markets.

Why do you think that, @denopa?

I wonder whether that is simply because the internet has diluted the advertising sites, to the point where nobody can afford to advertise on all the main ones, so many just go to brokers?

It is the same with houses. Despite widespread predictions that the internet will put estate agents out of business, almost inexplicably this has not happened.

But house transactions still seem way too complicated for most people, whereas an aircraft broker adds very little to the real work the seller has to do, which is the preparation of the information (including logbook photos) in a nice format which can be emailed to various potential buyers. Also you cannot possibly tell somebody is a time waster until you meet them; so many adults with money are borderline-illiterate and can manage only very brief emails. Or they just don’t consider writing a priority.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s based on my experience as a trader. If you’re dealing in liquid stuff like listed shares or euro swaps, you don’t need a broker. If you’re trading volatility or corporate bonds, having someone in the middle with a strong incentive to do a deal greatly increases your chance of closing.

EGTF, LFTF

Peter wrote:

…whereas an aircraft broker adds very little to the real work the seller has to do, which is the preparation of the information (including logbook photos) in a nice format which can be emailed to various potential buyers.

A good one does a lot more than that! Especially when buying/selling internationally a good knowledge of the relative paperwork is required. And there is a lot more: Checking completeness of the technical documentation, researching ownership and damage history, getting a pre-purchase inspection done, negotiating a price that is acceptable for seller and buyer, getting the contract worked out, etc.
If a broker is not doing all this for you then it is not worth paying him any money at all.

EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message