Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What does a PPL holder need to teach up to an LAPL

Qalupalik wrote:

Unless you intend to apply for an ATPL in the future it will be more efficient to complete only the CPL theory and exam. Enrolment in a CPL theory course will be required. The IR theory and exam is not required for applicants with an ICAO IR and 50 PIC IFR hours. Instead, IR knowledge will be demonstrated to the examiner during the IR skill test. It is possible to attach an instructor certificate to a PPL however instruction is limited the LAPL level until the CPL exam has been passed.

Sorry to resurrect the thread but I found this piece of information intriguing as someone considering to be an instructor after PPL(A), and who thought the only way is CPL into CFI.
I looked for more information about this instructor certificate and this is the best I found https://www.pilot-training-europe.com/en/flight-instructor-training-fia/

Is this instructor certificate, that allows PPL holders to train up to LAPL, called FI?
If so, unless I’m missing something, it appears this requires 200 hours PIC and several others, making it not far off from CPL into CFI requirements?

Switzerland

The99percenter wrote:

Is this instructor certificate, that allows PPL holders to train up to LAPL, called FI?

FI is the full instructor rating. Then there can be various restrictions on what you may instruct for. One such restriction is that a PPL holder who does not have CPL theory can only instruct for the LAPL.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 25 Jul 06:48
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I think there is a mixup here.

“CFI” is an FAA instructor. In Europe, this term has no real meaning. The UK uses it for the “chief guy” who is an FI and “runs” the school.

To get a US CFI in Europe is probably impossible, for various reasons.

So maybe wrong thread?

@The99percenter was it FAA CFI you were referring to?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I think there is a mixup here.

“CFI” is an FAA instructor. In Europe, this term has no real meaning. The UK uses it for the “chief guy” who is an FI and “runs” the school.

To get a US CFI in Europe is probably impossible, for various reasons.

So maybe wrong thread?

@The99percenter was it FAA CFI you were referring to?

Sorry, I got confused between the FAA and EASA terms.
I meant FI (A) instead of the (FAA) CFI

Last Edited by The99percenter at 27 Aug 19:37
Switzerland

So what would you like to convert to what?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

So what would you like to convert to what?

Allow me to rephrase.

From @Airborne_Again’s answer, I understand a PPL holder with a FI (A) allows you to train people for PPL, if you passed CPL Theory.

So far so good.

My question was, how can a PPL holder teach up to LAPL? What do I need? Is it a LAPL FI (A)?

Last Edited by The99percenter at 27 Aug 20:25
Switzerland

@The99percenter new thread created. This is nothing to do with FAA-anything.

Administrator

The99percenter wrote:

I understand a PPL holder with a FI (A) allows you to train people for PPL, if you passed CPL Theory.

Correct. Note that for this purpose only, you can take the CPL theory through self-study, without being enrolled in a formal course.

My question was, how can a PPL holder teach up to LAPL? What do I need? Is it a LAPL FI (A)?

You need an FI. Then you can teach up to LAPL even without the CPL theory. As I wrote above, there is only one full flight instructor rating and that’s the FI, but then there are restrictions on what licenses you may teach for.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In the UK an FI without CPL TK can also teach for the nppl microlight, SSEA and SLMG.

Most LAPL FI’s also get a CRI issued at the same time and then they can teach for SEP and TMG if suitably qualified.

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message