Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Plotting your flights on a map

From here

Is there a way to create these maps using an Excel-export from a digital logbook using the ICAO-Code of departure & destination airfield?

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

The map feature of the EuroGA airport database can accept a text file with airport codes, but it doesn’t draw lines between a dep-dest pair.

I doubt anybody has ever used this The details are in the FAQ link there.

If there was demand, this could be added – so long as you don’t want a properly curved great circle line drawn

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If there was demand, this could be added – so long as you don’t want a properly curved great circle line drawn

Well, who am I to judge; however I would love such a functionality. And if possible, why not adding a nice EuroGA-logo to it…? In a first step a straight line should be enough though… 🤣🤣

@marcel
Maybe you can try great circle mapper.

EBZW, Belgium

Marcel wrote:

Is there a way to create these maps using an Excel-export from a digital logbook using the ICAO-Code of departure & destination airfield?

You can try this website: https://myflightbook.com/logbook/mvc/Airport/MapRoute
It accepts text input. Use => to separate routes.

LPFR, Poland

Marcel wrote:

Sure, just do the concatenation of data in Excel to generate GoogleEarth .KML or .KMZ format, if you also want custom symbols, and export via CSV. When uneducated, go to the Tutorial https://developers.google.com/kml/documentation/kml_tut and learn KML. If using macOS, don’t forget to convert the separator … ;-).

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 01 Jan 11:31
Germany

What would be great is an extracting tool for SkyDemon… yes, one can individually export a flight in SkyDemon, GPX, or KML format, but only one flight at a time.
I was already in contact with SD, who as usual were rather unresponsive…

Having the ability to export say 1 year worth of flights directly to Google whatever or some other map software would be great

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

In the Android version of SD especially, the data should be accessible via USB, so some fairly simple process on a PC ought to be possible.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you! So far, from my point of view @Peter ‘s (potential) solution would sound the best: Ideally just uploading a list of ICAO-Codes and done… :-)

I just realized I have an account with Flysto and had uploaded one flight a while ago. As a charterer, i.e. with no engine data, as I see it, the use appears rather limited, but am probably wrong with this judgement.
Nonetheless, exporting all my flights from Skydemon (or the couple of flights in the US using Foreflight) would require quite some rainy days……… An automated export solution from Skydemon (and other tools) to Flysto, as @Dan suggested, might be a game changer though.

And I don’t want to open just another account somewhere to mirror my electronic logbook just to play around with that map. Nor to learn how to program something at/with Google, although that would sound like a nice project for the future…

EDIT: When thinking about it, and since „my“ (syndicate owned) Cardinal finally is back in service, I could find out how download stuff from the EDM, that Flysto might become interesting at least for future flights….

Last Edited by Marcel at 01 Jan 15:24

@Peter

In the Android version of SD especially, the data should be accessible via USB, so some fairly simple process on a PC ought to be possible.

…. My assumption is you would need to open all the logs and saving them locally, to get to the files to import into Flysto, isn’t it?

43 Posts
Sign in to add your message