Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Not exactly a 'Trip'....but it was certainly VFR!

I have been a lurker on EuroGA since day one, whilst finding the discussions interesting and informative I’ve never registered in the knowledge I had nothing to add to what is essentially a European and IR touring site. However, inspired by Colm’s West Coast of Scotland write up and encouraged by Peter’s request for more VFR stories I offer the following.

Brief Overview

It’s not a trip as such, it was more typical of the day jollies we, as syndicate members, embark on. The emphasis is more on VFR than trip, it is offered with the hope some, more especially forumites not familiar with the area, may find it interesting. It may also serve to remind those in need of reminding of the simplicity and beauty of VFR.

VFR

The lead up to the flight was as is the norm; our tendency is to watch the weather pencilling in a flight for a particular promising looking day a day or two in advance, confirming by email early on the day of the flight. All being well we will meet at the airport mid morning. We may or may not have exchanged Ideas of where to go, more often than not the final decision is left until the morning of the flight having had an opportunity to check METARS, TAFS, NOTAMS. Indeed it is not unknown for the final decision to be taken only when airborne. With not as much as an AH or HI and with so much vertical granite around we do put a lot of emphasis on the the V in VFR.

So it was on the 15th July this year. I believe I had mentioned in our email exchanges a notion to go to Islay from Inverness and with the weather Gods’ onside we were Islay bound. Probably the greatest advantage of VFR in Class G is the freedom to make it up as you go, it’s seldom we fly a direct route. With this in mind we decided the first leg would be to Oban where we would refuel minimising time or route restraint through a need to refuel before Oban closed later in the day. Our loose plan was to fly Inverness – Oban, Oban – Islay, Islay – (Gigha or Colonsay) and the final leg to Inverness. Never having been to Islay it was decided I would fly the Oban – Islay leg and the fourth leg to Inv. As it turned out we only flew 3 legs with the third being Islay – Inverness, each of which were surprisingly direct. On this occasion I therefore only flew one leg.

Following a relaxed pre flight and the obligatory period putting the world to rights we left Inverness around noon local, in all honesty it was probably rather later than ideal to make the best of the day. Nevertheless we were off and the world was a better place for our efforts. Being of the opinion the photographs I take as a passenger leave much to be desired I’m not given to attempt taking photographs whilst flying. Granted I was not flying this leg, however I have flown the route often enough to have a selection of photographs from previous flights and consequently did not turn the camera on on the INV – Oban leg. Our route was roughly paralleling the Great Glen.

For those unfamiliar with the Great Glen and Great Glen Fault: I have included a photograph taken (on 1st July 2014 en route Glenforsa with SWMBO) from the head of Loch Ness looking south west with Loch Oich and Loch Lochy visible in the distance.

Photograph looking south west along the Great Glen (taken 1st July 2014) en route Glenforsa Airfield, Mull. The only one not from the flight on the day.

The tendency is for Inverness radar to pass you to Scottish once clear of their approach/departure, in practice it is difficult to get Scottish at low level in that part of the country so the tendency is to stay tuned to Inverness until out of range of them. What is absolutely paramount is that eyes are kept outside looking for any which variety of aircraft, particularly military traffic; from Chinook and B52 (granted not a regular) through Tucano and Hawks to F15s and the Typhoon. And don’t believe the myth that one is safe providing one flies at 2000’ or above.

Our flight to Oban varied between 2000’ and 4000’ feet as we marvelled at the beauty of the landscape, choosing to follow a ridge or drop below the summits in to a Glen enabling us to examine the geology in more detail, comparing the differences in the rock forming the walls on either side. Whether looking down upon it, or up at it the never the same scenery never fails to impress. Of course in an area with such history the man made points of interest are also plentiful, from General Wade’s military roads and old Clan: Settlements to the ever increasing number of wind farms.

At low level from the north it can be difficult to get Oban Information on the radio due to a hill preventing line of sight. However the beautiful garden Island of Lismore makes it difficult to be temporarily unsure of position and we were soon on the ground at Oban filling the tanks.

It was my turn in the left hand seat now and in congratulating myself that I had remembered to ask for permission to start I had forgotten to switch on my GoPro, only remembering as we were well established on climb out. I had intentionally left it off so far to preserve the battery for the less familiar area and in the hope the worlds 3rd largest whirlpool, Coryvreckan, would be in full flow on either the outward or return leg. Unfortunately it wasn’t.

Leg 2 Oban – Islay

Leg 3 Islay – Inverness

Fortunately I did eventually turn it on and will now allow the video to do the ‘talking’.

I did take a few stills en route Inverness from Islay.

Leaving Islay, runway 31

Overflying the beach as we take off

Looking back towards the airfield

Approaching the Isle of Orsay and Portnahaven

Port Wemyss and Portnahven

Following Islay’s west coast

Secluded white sandy beach with crystal clear water

Bunnahabhain Distillery nestled on the Islay coast. Although we were monitoring Scottish we had opted to enjoy our Class G freedom without talking to them. However when we heard them tell an aircraft inbound to Islay of our presence (we have mode S) we established two way communication.

Bunnahabhain Distillery, lovely Dram it is too!

A closer look of the Paps of Jura

Flada Lighthouse

Belnahua in the Firth of Lorn is the smallest of the Slate Islands with the now flooded quarry clearly visible. It was whilst exploring the Slate Islands at low level we were alerted to the fact Scottish had lost us as another aircraft relayed a message from Scottish. Time to move on from Scottish.

A view to the west

Easdale in the foreground with Seil behind and the mountains of the mainland in the background

From overhead Loch Linnhe looking towards the Ballachulish Bridge and Loch Leven with the mountains of the magical Glencoe under the clouds in the background

Looking north east along the Great Glen with the Corran Narrows in Loch Linnhe in the foreground and Ben Nevis visible in the shade of the cloud on the right

Misc thank you for posting – have visited Oban, Islay and Inverness, it is beautiful flying country, although Islay can get a bit windy.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Super report and pics, @Misc. Thanks for posting it.

Apart from a quick trip to Aberdeen, I have never flown to Scotland. I was going to go this weekend, for a VFR trip to get a load of pics, but cancelled due to too much work back home and probably dodgy wx up there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing, Misc. , please keep them coming!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Great :) Thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading, and particularly because I didn’t recognise much of the area of your photos!

Misc. wrote:

I had intentionally left it off so far to preserve the battery for the less familiar area and in the hope the worlds 3rd largest whirlpool, Coryvreckan, would be in full flow

Is that what I saw here?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Thanks folks.

Peter wrote:

I have never flown to Scotland. I was going to go this weekend, for a VFR trip to get a load of pics, but cancelled due to too much work back home and probably dodgy wx up there.

Peter,

I’m surprised to hear you’ve never ventured to the north west, it’s certainly worth the effort, especially if the weather behaves.

I’d recommend trying it, turn all the gadgetry off, slow down the TB20 (lovely aircraft, I was impressed on a recent flight down through France in one) and marvel.

No story this time just a short video of further north.

We were in need of some oil and find Far North Aviation in Wick reasonably priced, so off to Wick we went for some oil (clockwise).

Last Edited by Misc at 31 Aug 19:45

Great report @misc. now feeling the need for a scenic flight.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

I’d recommend trying it, turn all the gadgetry off, slow down the TB20 (lovely aircraft, I was impressed on a recent flight down through France in one) and marvel.

I did a similar kind of trip in 2014, with Dublinpilot, but around Ireland. So as you can see I can fly low level VFR But on that trip we were very lucky with the weather. And to do the same around Scotland one would need to be even more lucky; I have been planning a Scottish version for much of this year (albeit with some passenger time constraints) and there have been very few opportunities.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter,
We’ve had a lousy summer but the GFS is predicting a nice stable anticyclone over Ireland for the next 10-14 days. Prestwick airshow next w/e, and we’re plotting a cookout at Glenswinton. So postpone Slovenia and come to Scotland – fly some circuits, shoot some skeet, cook and taste some Galloway beef, touch & go in silage fields and lochs, kick the tyres of local Huskies, Cubs and Maules…
Peter.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

and we’re plotting a cookout at Glenswinton

Are you one of the guys who was at Andreas in a Maule on Mad Sunday? (If so we had a brief chat, I’m very interested in coming to your cookout in the Auster!)

Andreas IOM
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message