Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR Flying in Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina

Hello,

Based on the VFR trip that I’m planning at the beginning of August (see details here: http://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/2683-looking-for-expert-advice-for-european-vfr-trip-planning ), one of our favored options involves flying to Belgrade, Sarajevo and then Split.

Has anyone done this recently? Any practical info I found online was dated. How bureaucratic is this? I already found I seem to need a slot for Sarajevo. Is the same true for Belgrade? Also, if you can recommend alternative airfields in the area, do it.

Sarajevo also doesn’t seem to have AVGAS, based on the AIP info.

Cheers,
Patrick

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I’ve been to Belgrade in 2011 but have seen other reports in the mean time which say not much has changed.

Belgrade is absolutely great for GA, cheap fuel, cheap taxes and great service. They have PPR, but no slot. I’d go there anytime for fuel and to stay.

It is also a great city to visit.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Sarajevo doesn’t have 100LL, otherwise it’s easy – you just fill-in and e-mail the form available at airport’s web site 24 hours prior to your arrival. You’ll get immediate response and approval. City itself is definitely worth of visiting, accomodation is cheap, food is great and cheap, taxi from the airport to city center (old town) is between 5 and 10 €, depending on taxi company.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Rhino,

in most of the Balkan countries, there is no such thing like uncontrolled VFR flying as we know it. All VFR flights are controlled, under constant radio contact and receive a clearance and a squawk at the start. Otherwise, no big difference.

The mountains in Bosnia are massive and can create enormous amounts of turbulence. Again, fly early in the morning.

For Sarajevo, see eddh.de. Defo no Avgas. Otherwise fine. While the city is an interesting mix of influences, it’s not a beauty.

In case you go to Split, sort out parking PPR well in advance. It gets very busy in high summer and the GA apron is tiny. See eddh.de, too.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Confirm no avgas at Sarajevo. The city is not artistic but as said interesting, I have always enjoyed it every time I’ve been. You may want to stop over for a brief vist at Mostar, but check airport opening times and also no avgas.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

From what I gather, seems like Sarajevo is also pretty often in IMC due to it’s basin location. Let’s see…

One more thing: Those who have been to Beograd Nikola Tesla and refueled (AVGAS), how did you pay?

From the AIP, I see there’s two fuel companies: One that accepts cash and credit cards, but only sells JET A-1 and another one that sells 100 LL, but will only accept “AVCARD, World Fuel Services Cards, US Government Air Card, MS Multi Service”.

I have neither of these cards. Should I?

One more thing: Those who have been to Beograd Nikola Tesla and refueled (AVGAS), how did you pay?

The handling agent comes with a mobile credit card reader to your aircraft and you pay for landing/handling/fuel. Landing/handling is 30 €, fuel was 1,15 € late last year. All the standard cards work. Belgrade is 5 stars, best major airport I’ve ever been to.

Ok great, thanks!

I found the following in the VFR AIP for Serbia in ENR 1.2 -4 (http://www.smatsa.rs/AIS/Active/vfr/htm/osnovna.htm):

8.4 Foreign aircraft may enter or leave the airspace of Serbia and the airspace of Montenegro only at the designated entry/exit corridors. Competent ATC unit may only exceptionally authorize entering or leaving of aircraft outside designated entry/exit corridors and that is only in case of emergency or bad meteorological conditions or humanitarian actions.

What are these designated entry/exit corridors? I cannot find them (I’m currently looking at SkyDemon). What I do find is some VFR routes within the country and leading to LYBE. But I fail to see any entry/exit corridors…

30 Posts
Sign in to add your message