Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK to Croatia and Sicily - Sep 2022

Airborne_Again wrote:

I would guess that this restriction is really intended for boats and that they just slapped a standard 1500 ft limit on it for aviation without thinking.

Hehe, such a classic “Welcome to Italy” would be appropriate here

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

I did make it after all EGKA-LDSB-LICR-LICP.

The first leg was a really nice flight. I messed up on the IT front so the video didn’t end up with the ATC sound track

5:50 airborne and landed with 23 USG.

The next two flights I need to process and write up. I will also do a proper writeup on my website. Just met up with Justine in Palermo so we will go off and do “stuff”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think I know the aircraft at the end of the video

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Track for above

Next track, to Calabria. FR24 shows only a part of it; FR24 is going downhill rapidly

Being Sunday, I asked ATC whether the military areas were inactive. They were really helpful and checked and gave me a DCT to Calabria. Min level was FL110.

The next leg, Calabria LICR to Boccadifalco LICP, does not show up at all.

When I landed in Calabria I thought I had fallen asleep and flew too far and ended up in Greece – it is exactly like this, matching any number of Greek airports.

Administrator

My path yesterday on the same route wasn’t so direct although much better than the filed one. ATC gave me shortcuts on their initiative coordinating with sectors ahead. Only the arrival was a little bit messy because initially they granted RW15 and then revoked it which resulted in few unnecessary miles flying towards west and then coming back to RCA.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I had a bit of an interesting problem getting into LICP. This is their VFR routing which AFAICS takes you over the edge of the city, but when you actually get there (to the start of the blue track in the link) you are quite obviously flying right over the city which is built up right up to the edge of the mountains. So I did a fast left turn and climbed up the preceeding valley and flew a final for 33 from ~4500ft.

Accommodation is scarce here. This is our 100 quid a night luxury hotel

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Accommodation is scarce here. This is our 100 quid a night luxury hotel

Must see the inside view…

EHRD, Netherlands

Inside is nice – in a centuries old building. Everything in Palermo is centuries old, and has not been cleaned since it was built But we have little space, with everything spread out on the floor, and eating breakfast on the beds.

I am very much looking forward to being back home. It’s been a hard trip. It started as a meet-up on Brac + Sicily which disintegrated basically at the last moment, so I cancelled my trip. But then I thought I may as well get something out of it, after spending a day or two planning and arranging time off work, even if I go alone. So I had the planned 4 days on Brac, plus 2 more due to bad wx for going anywhere else, doing some hiking, driving, and writing a load of great ARM32 software on my laptop, testing it running ST Cube over remote desktop You can’t go wrong in Croatia. Then Justine was happy to do Easyjet to Palermo so I flew the original plan of Calabria and Boccadifalco to meet her there, and this worked out after dozens of emails dealing with Italian 19th century airport procedures. It was a nice flight but I won’t do it again. Palermo is a noisy smelly dirty city – like most others really. The best bit by far was the Botanic Gardens. We’ve done a lot of hanging around here, but are more than ready to go back to our nice home with nice beds and space to live.

I will do a writeup ASAP but will process the next set of videos first.

Administrator

their VFR routing which AFAICS takes you over the edge of the city, but when you actually get there (to the start of the blue track in the link) you are quite obviously flying right over the city which is built up right up to the edge of the mountains. So I did a fast left turn and climbed up the preceeding valley and flew a final for 33 from ~4500ft.

Why the climb?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

Italian 19th century airport procedures

Developed by da Vinci for some spiral shaped flying machine?

EHRD, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message