Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK to Croatia and Sicily - Sep 2022

Emir wrote:

Recently I was at Birmingham EGBB with XLR as a handler: private apron parking upgraded to hangar parking for free (£40 per day), £54 for handling – lounge, room for crew rest, toilets, showers, coffee, sandwiches, snacks, drinks and even a bottle of champagne.

What does one pay the airport at Birmingham on top of the handling?

EGLM & EGTN

What does one pay the airport at Birmingham on top of the handling?

Landing (36), parking (40 per day in hangar) and handling (50 to 100) – that’s it. Parking can be cheaper on apron with other handler. Handling also depends on handler and possible discount.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Given that going in and out VFR seems preferred to the airport does anyone know if one can get a clearance to fly LICR to LICP along the N coast of Sicily? And at what sort of level? I am thinking of doing that ~140nm leg VFR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Surprisingly, no response here, so I have emailed the airports and asked them the above question.

Maybe @africaneagle or @nuccio may know?

Does anyone have current VFR charts for Sicily?

Administrator

Why not? There’s nothing there. You can fly Lowlevel in case some RA is active.

In Foreflight. Either Aeronautical layer (data from FF) or VFR layer (data from AIP, ICAO style chart).

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

And SD also has fresh (as of right now…) VFR charts:

This once more denotes how uncomplicated VFR flying is, check weather, go and fly

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

It looks flyable at 1500ft.

Administrator

yep, or if uncomfortable at this “low altitude” a quick call to Roma 129.575 (or Palermo, or even Reggio should know about the status) will clear things up re the R501. Which is only rarely active AFAIR…

And circling the Stromboli is a must since you’re in the neighbourhood

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Snoopy wrote:

Why not? There’s nothing there. You can fly Lowlevel in case some RA is active.

Dan wrote:

This once more denotes how uncomplicated VFR flying is, check weather, go and fly

Peter wrote:

It looks flyable at 1500ft.

Be cautious about those comments. That SD chart doesn’t show everything in the area.
Most of the route is covered by a nature reserve. I didn’t comment yesterday as I don’t know how seriously the Italian’s take these areas and thought that some local knowledge would be better. While it says overflight is prohibited, there are many smaller airfields in the area and they must pass through it to land/take off. Maybe it’s one of those areas that is just ignored?

From the Italian AIP. Note that is 500 METERS. So about 1500ft. Also note it’s AGL not AMSL. Overflight is prohibited below that.

There is also a military operations area not shown on that chart. Probably because it’s only activated by NOTAM, and it’s not active at the time that the screenshot was set for. But you do need to be aware of it in case you see it in the NOTAMS.

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 17 Sep 08:38
EIWT Weston, Ireland

Ps. I’ve emailed you some screenshots from the “official” current ICAO chart.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message