Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best places to fly for food in Italy?

I’m doing a Europe tour in my DA42NG. We’ll soon pass through Italy / Greece and I fly for food!

What are the best towns to fly to for food? Caveat: allergic to shellfish and nuts, so sea focused destinations may miss the mark!

You can’t really go wrong with food just about anywhere in Italy. It’s quite simply one of the best countries in the world for eating. Enjoy!

LIPV has a good restaurant at the field.

always learning
LO__, Austria

It’s not possible to give a useful answer.

Italy is full of food. If you just want to eat eat and eat some more, until you have spaghetti and pizza coming out of your ears, you can do that anywhere in Italy, and unlike the UK and actually most of Europe, 99% of it will be ok. Greece is perhaps the nearest to that provided you avoid Corfu and Zakyntos.

What varies greatly is customer service and particularly attitude to foreign visitors who can’t speak Italian Right now I am in Palermo and probably 30% of the time one struggles. Even the city museum staff don’t want you there. But this is a historically poor region; the north is where the money is.

A far bigger issue for you flying GA to and around Italy will be the airport management and procedures. Most of Italy isn’t like popping over to Le Touquet. Just look at some recent posts – search for LICR for example. I will be updating the thread here. I’ve torn my hair out on this trip and certainly won’t be doing Sicily again other than by Easyjet. A lot of the airports are pretty much “African”, with crazy PN/PPR requirements, multi hours waiting for fuel, etc. But curiously Aosta LIMW – the nearest Italian airport to the UK and a great destination for a fly to ski in e.g. Cervinia – is really great.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From a previous post from AntonioD :
Serristori LIQQ 5Nm S Arezzo good restaurant
Pavullo LIDP 20 Nm W Bologna good restaurant

I can add Asiago. They have rooms at the airport too.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 21 Sep 07:50
LFOU, France

Dont forget Mali Losinj LDLO which has one of the world’s greatest airport restaurants, El Paso.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Search for
Airfield restaurant

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message