Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tortoli Arbatax (LIET)

Lots of angles here – for another thread Someone needs to start one; I’ve already done that several times in last 1-2 days to deal with threads which went off the rails.

But the bottom line is that it is impossible to run an airfield for a €10 landing fee. Grass, maybe, if somebody cuts it for free, fills in the holes for free, shoots rabbits for free, etc. Hard surface, no way.

At the €30 level it becomes just about possible.

But people spend that on a taxi without a worry. And they spend €xxx on avgas getting there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I’ve already done that several times in last 1-2 days to deal with threads which went off the rails.

Thanks Peter, we all appreciate your work.

Peter wrote:

it is impossible to run an airfield for a €10 landing fee. Grass, maybe, if somebody cuts it for free, fills in the holes for free, shoots rabbits for free, etc. Hard surface, no way.

It is possible, the more so using the Italian, pardon me, European subsidies… having worked 5 years out of Italy have taught me a few things

Peter wrote:

people spend that on a taxi without a worry. And they spend €xxx on avgas getting there

Some do. Others, on a tighter budget or whatever reason, don’t. On my previous visits to this specific place, I walked to my friend’s place. As for gas, I remember that funny hunt for empty canisters, and the filling at the petrol station close to the harbour, and then heaving said canisters thru the ridiculous security gate. Some explaining later the canisters bypassed the X-rays on their way to our mighty flying machine

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

For argument’s sake, an aircraft equivalent (MTOM 749kg, noise class C) to mine, coming to my field LSZF would as of today (and with today’s rates) pay:
€17.75 for 1ea landing, on a day VFR field open 08:00 (10:00 on holidays/Sundays) to SS, 690m concrete runway, paralleled by a grass runway, and a glider strip
€12.36 for overnight parking, on a concrete surface, with strong fixed tie-downs

Jet A-1, Avgas, Mogas are all available at very good prices. The field also offers a good restaurant, with kids playground, ample shadowed car parking. No security checks, nor play big airport Hi-Vis nonsense (yet…). Direct arrival from any Schengen land ok (customs fee €22.20 for arrival only) with online PN + tel confirmation 3h prior arrival.

Ok, the field as such is located some 20km West of Zürich city center. In Switzerland, which, as everyone knows, is one of the cheapest countries in the world

PS
Admitedly the area ain’t touristic as LIET, nor does it sports the super sandy beaches and the rocks to swim to

Last Edited by Dan at 25 May 08:15
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

The airport should now be open.

Anybody going (or at least attempting to get PPR), please post a report. Thanks.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Jun 08:22
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

But the bottom line is that it is impossible to run an airfield for a €10 landing fee.

Agree. This deserves a new thread.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I thought we had an “airfield running costs thread” but I can’t find it. By all means start one.

Administrator

Great news! I spent 4-5 days there back in the 1990’s and stayed at the Arbatax campground. Definitely on the list for a return visit. Let’s hope it manages to stay open.

LSZK, Switzerland

First pirep now in on Skydemon. A little light on practical info though…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Why do people bother to file such a report?

Administrator

Why do people bother to file such a report?

Some people are better story tellers than engineers….

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message