Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ad Hoc fly-ins

Telegram group for ad-hoc fly-ins: https://t.me/+xNhorhP63F8wMDU0

I think discussion on Telegram then definite place+date posted here works

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I agree; however a lot of people won’t use telegram on principle (not sure what principle – maybe they think they are being tracked) and anyway roughly 2/3 of the people there have notifications turned off so they don’t know about anything going on.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It seems @Peter, that you are a bit pissed. It would be nice to join you at Aosta, but the mentioned dates are in the week. So as they collide with the business no need for postings her or participating in the telegram group.

roughly 2/3 of the people there have notifications turned off so they don’t know about anything going on

And the notifications have to be turned of if you do not participate in a meet up, otherwise you will get completely driven crazy because of all the points like „it‘s to early to say something about the weather now“, „maybe LFAT is better then LFQQ, but they don‘t have a TAF“ or „I planned for LFAT but can switch“ etc. etc. If you know you will come it is fine to receive these messages, if not, you may leave the group or mute it. The second option seems the better one, because if personal plans are changing you may easily catch up with what was discussed and join the meet up.

EDDS , Germany

I agree, but the bottom line is still that we don’t have a good way to announce or plan a possible meet-up.

A telegram group is fine for organising those who have arrived, but actually we always set up another telegram group for that. The last one was done for Andorra.

And the only way for people to notice posts in this thread is to subscribe to it, so they get email notifications, but I think most people don’t want those. Of the 5k+ people who have joined up on EuroGA only about 700 have selected that they would like emails about anything at all.

Maybe the bad thing which has happened is that the Ad Hoc telegram group has ended up with too many messages about weather for tomorrow’s trip etc – because that trip doesn’t have its own group.

Maybe it wants a banner on the home page. Most people go there.

But really the big issue right now is that a lot of people have stopped flying. A lot of the “old timers” have sold up.

Re Aosta, if one looks on windy.com, the reason is clear. Heavy weather coming after the 24th and remaining for ages (good for the ski slopes – about time!). And somebody has to nominate a date for a fly-in; if one leaves it to a vote, one gets a broad distribution of dates.

Administrator

Nice meetup in Norwich EGSH today, just as the wx moved off.

Administrator

The Aosta meet-up in Jan 2022 is picking up interest.

Joining link for the telegram group:

https://t.me/+Q6kQvDNXwtZhNGE0

Administrator

What’s the date for the Aosta meet?
I can’t go because I’m already skiing in Zermatt in January but might be able to meet you for lunch.

Forever learning
EGTB

Here

37 people in the telegram group now.

Administrator

Working during the dates but for UK flyers needing a fuel stop in France how would you navigate the health requirements? Or are fuel stops permissible?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Fuel stops are not an issue in France (one may get get asked to walk to the terminal for passport stamp if it’s applicable), you send the usual Customs & Immigration PNR and say it will be “fuel stop with crew only”, high likely no one turns up

There is no official exemption from PCR/LFT tests for “GA crew on transits” (something similar was around for car users taking Eurotunnel while ago that both France & UK have in their legal texts but it vanished now), you need to have the tests to cover all the bases if you are stuck but if you are in a hurry no one seems to challenge that claim: you are exempt if crew staying airside for fuel, at least not in Jersey & France, obviously at destination these would apply

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Dec 13:53
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message