Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Venice-Lido Airport LIPV

Peter wrote:

It was pretty bad for our fly-in in 2019 with “normal GA planes” getting well stuck in mud.

Just a reminder of the four gotchas I mentioned in my write-up on the 2019 fly-in:
Four Warnings:
1. Even after you have filled in the web site for Customs at LIPV, allow at least half an hour arriving/departing for Italian bureaucracy to inspect your passport.
2. Being an Island, the cost of fuel on The Lido is always going to be prohibitive and, also, often in short supply. For ALL Italian fields, if I am desperate for Avgas, I always double check by phone/email that they have a supply.
3. The Grass runway is perfectly adequate for those who are used to such surfaces; but the field is not very good at ‘loosing’ water after a heavy downpour: The Fire Truck had to pull a couple of planes out of the mud whilst I was there + it was very wet underfoot when doing the pre-flight.
4. The run-off the grass to the Apron is LETHAL. Ensure that you use the ‘white’ gateway. The rest of the edge of the grass is a deep hidden ditch which could easily result in a prop-strike for the unwary.

Otherwise, it is one of the most beautiful fields I have been too – in such a wonderful setting.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Peter_G wrote:

The run-off the grass to the Apron is LETHAL. Ensure that you use the ‘white’ gateway. The rest of the edge of the grass is a deep hidden ditch which could easily result in a prop-strike for the unwary.

Also, if I recall well, the path to the “white gateway” is marked on the grass approach, so it is easy to find it. If unable to find it I’d turn around for another try before going on the apron.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Peter_G wrote:

3. The Grass runway is perfectly adequate for those who are used to such surfaces; but the field is not very good at ‘loosing’ water after a heavy downpour: The Fire Truck had to pull a couple of planes out of the mud whilst I was there + it was very wet underfoot when doing the pre-flight.

How dare you, on their website (Italian version) they clearly say that the runway is perfect!! lol

Last Edited by Seba at 29 Jul 12:35
LFST, France

Peter_G wrote:

How dare you, on their website (Italian version) they clearly say that the runway is perfect!! lol

LFST, France

FWIW, here is a little video on a Lido landing:

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

terbang
FWIW, here is a little video on a Lido landing:

Thanks for posting. Brought back happy memories of a wonderful place.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

On wide grass runways, in southern Europe, I almost always land on either the very left or very right. In the centre, you will likely have stones.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

On wide grass runways, in southern Europe, I almost always land on either the very left or very right. In the centre, you will likely have stones.

Very good idea. After posting this pirep we had to get out of there. I had a similar idea and I did the take off to the very right side of runway 05. I managed to take off without any visible damage to the prop. Obviously it will depend a lot on the type of airplane but with the PA46 turbine the risk of damage is just too big for me. Diretly form Lido we went to Courchevel and I was much more comfortable landing there than at Lido. I read reports about how flat and hard the Lido runway is from heavy planes. And that is all true the plane did accelerate nearly like on tarmac but that does not help with the stones ;-)

Before we flew to Tessera and it is about 200 Euro + 50 Euro for each pax. Lido was about 60 + 20 per pax with passport control. But then JetA1 is 1,75 EUR vs about 1,10 EUR so with 2 passengers the financial break even point is around 300 liters.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I would first check the fees at LIPZ before going again. Most of the Italian „big“ airports (rather: their handling agents) have doubled their fees in the last couple of years.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

I would first check the fees at LIPZ before going again. Most of the Italian „big“ airports (rather: their handling agents) have doubled their fees in the last couple of years.

I just looked up the invoices. Last year LIPZ charged us 253,35 EUR with 1 pax and this year just a few weeks ago 395,88 EUR with 4 pax but no changes to the charges it is really the pax which did drive up the cost. To be fair the boat transport from LIPZ is 50 EUR more expensive each way but it was great fun and the dock is right next to the GAT. And we got a parking spot big enough for a 737 ;-)

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message