Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Le Touquet LFAT May 2016

All the weather torment, makes a VFR pilot feel right at home

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Last Saturday I had the opportunity to pass my Biannual Flight Review, that’s why I couldn’t make it to LFAT.
First time we flew there (with our wives), we were welcomed by three Flying French Customs Officers who had just landed at he same time (helicopter).
They buzzed us during an hour. Our wives looked at us as if we were nasty smuglers. It’s not a good memory. We almost missed the bus for downtown !
So try to figure two guys, fresh airplane owners, wanting to show their wives how flying for a 500 hamburger was pleasant !
But, eventually, we had a good time, people at LFAT are very welcoming and I have been there a few other times since !
So I will be in any time I can make it with Euro GA !

Jean
EBST, Belgium

Peter wrote:

Local wx:

@Peter, is that lovely field the view from your kitchen? Good thing it’s infested with mountain maggots, otherwise you might look out one frosty morning to see a flock of Maules and Cubs grazing in it, sort of like this:

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Actually it is the view from my workshop

I could land the TB20 there but it would need a Chinook to fly out again.

That’s an amazing STOL performance in your video!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It was the first aeroplane use of that field, after about six months planning with Google Earth and waiting for the right day. The landing was never much in doubt although it looks as if I could have been 5 ft lower over the trees and I should have given a heavier shot of power to cushion the touchdown. Still, that’s why we pay $$$ to Airframes Alaska and replace landing gear hardware every couple of years.

Ground was a bit soft after all the rain, as the frost hadn’t really penetrated the long grass – lesson learnt.

SA has the crappy short wing, but take off was easy thanks to 160 of the alleged 180 horsepower being available on the day and only two hours of fuel on board. Later we tried two-up and there was still bags of room.

Pointless really, but I enjoy studying and opening new landing sites every bit as much as the proverbial $100 burger run. Talking of which, it would be nice to be a bit nearer LFAT.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

Pointless really, but I enjoy studying and opening new landing sites every bit as much as the proverbial $100 burger run. Talking of which, it would be nice to be a bit nearer LFAT.

Last thing we need is more British pilots flying to LFAT.

You need to organise the Scottish fly-in. Not sure I could get the Mustang out of your strip though. Should stop at the tree line however.

EGTK Oxford

Last thing we need is more British pilots flying to LFAT.

I think LFAT gets too much p*sstaking. It scores really high on places to meet up with other people

• easy airport
  • not expensive
  • ILS (not for much longer perhaps but it is on the coast so a non-risky IAP)
  • virtually limitless parking
  • avgas and customs/immigration
  • a really nice walk to the town along the forest (no ripoff taxis) or you can rent a bike
  • a nice town
  • a nice beach
  • great food
  • some reasonable shopping
Administrator

I agree. Alongside Avignon, Le Touquet is the best GA airport in France.

LFPT, LFPN

Is a date for March already set ?

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

The approaching weekend looks pretty good

I might miss it (again) because if the wx looks good all the way to the Alps, I will try to finally achieve the “proof of concept” of skiing via GA

Administrator
Sign in to add your message