Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Venice Lido LIPV

The biggest mistake, operationally, is to regard S. Europe as N. Europe

The people down there are mostly really friendly but when you get a bad one, you end up on your own, because English is rarely spoken (by people over about 16) so issues which would be trivial in the north, and fixed with perhaps just a smile, rapidly escalate. A silly example but an example all the same was the Tourist Info desk at Zaragoza airport where nobody spoke any English. I could not find out a taxi number to call. Of course today you would do a google for one…

On that day, we got back home 10 mins before closing time, having flown at max power for quite a while. The next few days were unflyable which was another factor of course.

Former Yugoslavia is much easier…

The EuroGA Sep 2015 fly-in got moved because of the film festival. But also several pilots told me they would not land on grass. I guess they didn’t want to post it openly for fear of being called “sissies” I would have gone, if I had passengers strong enough to push the plane if the surface looked dodgy. Normally that needs 3 people, on grass.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

A silly example but an example all the same was the Tourist Info desk at Zaragoza airport where nobody spoke any English. I could not find out a taxi number to call.

Surprisingly the Spanish word for taxi is “taxi” and the word for telephone is “teléfono”. The word for number is “numéro”. I have a very hard time imagining how one can fail in this situation?

If this was the most remote village of China, then I would resort to drawing a taxi on paper. Communication is always possible somehow..

Agreed, but they just said “no English” and closed the office and went home.

Of course I got a taxi ok…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The most unfriendly thing in the world are these phone trees that put you into an endless loop. Unfriendly because it was designed that way. Unfortunately its not limited to Southern Europe. Actually I would rather talk to someone from India or Bangladesh, at least you feel they are trying.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

The most unfriendly thing in the world are these phone trees that put you into an endless loop. Unfriendly because it was designed that way.

Off-topic, but I feel that call centers have improved a lot recently. Most seem to have cleaned up their selection menus to few sensible items and I marvel at those giving you a calculated estimate of your waiting time in seconds or minutes that actually works.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

We had a good welcome in Aeroporto Nicelli. English was spoken. If you come from non Shengen airport (we came from Brac), don’t forget to fill the online customs file (available from airport web set). When we arrived at scheduled hour, Police and Customs where there so we didn’t loose any time.
Airport fees:

Jean
EBST, Belgium

Or LIPZ PPR [email protected] but why not?

EDAZ

Not sure but is that for LIPZ? If it is the fees are not too great. Does that include customs? I suppose they require handling. LIPZ I dont think has Av fuel 100LL

KHTO, LHTL

No 100LL, too great it depends! Price and PPR +390412606906

EDAZ

Cheshunt,Im confused what airport was the image of the bill you posted?

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message