Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Some current (2015) info on Galway airport

Finally, after 4 years of being closed to visitors, Galway airport (EICM) has now reopened.

For those who don’t know, Galway is a nice small-size city with very scenic surroundings in the west of Ireland. The airport is smallish but with an ILS and other amenities. It’s close to the city and the fees are moderate. I consider visiting again this summer.

Most of the information on their website has been updated (don’t worry about the “closed” caption on the homepage). I still contacted the manager with some additional questions and here’s what came out:

1. For now, they operate operate on a “VFR license” only, so unfortunately it is not possible to fly in IFR.

2. Within normal opening hours, PPR is not strictly required unless you need an upgrade in fire category.

3. No more car rental agencies directly at the airport

4. For the time being, no Avgas. They are working on that however.

5. And here comes the big turn-off: They are open “regularly” only from Monday to Friday. Not possible to arrive or depart “out of hours” on weekends. One would have to have the airport opened by request and that costs 300€/hour! Most bizarrely: during weekends, the local aeroclub does indeed fly, thanks to an “aeroclub only” out of hours agreement!

I don’t know yet whether they have any plans on improving on that situation.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

…after 4 years of being closed to visitors,…

It was not closed for four years. I just looked it up in my logbook: My last landing there was in September 2013.

But still good to hear that they are in business again!

EDDS - Stuttgart

Sorry, that’s correct. However, It was very much of an up and down in recent years. It was definitely closed in 2012 and 2014.

Galway wasn’t closed in 2012, except for perhaps an occasional day here or there.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Well yes, they were “weekdays only”, more or less like now. I was on a trip up there and my arrival would have fallen on a Saturday, so no way in. I even phoned up a contact from the aeroclub and enquired if they could let me in somehow, but whilst the chap was apologetic, he said “we just can’t do that”.

That’s why to me it felt like it was closed. Most private pilot trips somehow “involve” a weekend day (either arrival or departure), so the airport was useless. That’s also why I was so disappointed to hear they are doing that “monday through friday” thing again now.

So glad to hear that Galway is not gone for ever after all, even if the timing is a bit eccentric. It’s a short cab ride into the city, so the loss of the once thriving car rental companies is not a disaster. And maybe Enterprise will deliver.

There’s no better jumping off point for the West coast than Galway, with the Aran Islands, the Burren, Alcock & Brown’s landing site and much else.

I have fond memories of repairing my Warrior out on the disused parking with electrical components and tools bought from a rather bemused hardware shop owner in the city, and the cheery, helpful and friendly local population. I for one will be back! Thanks for posting this.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message