Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

May 2014 EuroGA fly-in Mali Losinj LDLO

Shorrick Mk2 06-Apr-14 11:14 #08

I can P2 for you if you stop in LSGG, then transit via Mt. Blanc and Simplon :)

OK, I’ll take a look at LSGG. Are you up for a bit of ‘cost sharing’. Believe it’s mandatory for some reason in a ‘N’ reg – Arrow non turbo.

Sure LSGG must be GA friendly (even if not € friendly !!!) otherwise you would not have proposed.

Are you thinking just yourself or + 1 ? I was thinking of spreading the trip over few days either side of the weekend, say 21 – 27 May.

It’s a lot of money just to go there and back in say 48 hours for example.

Not sure how we ‘secretly’ exchange e-mails on this site – think Peter can ‘do’ that, and that’s authorization Peter.

I’m going to c&p this (and yours) into the Mali Losinj trip thread

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 07 Apr 12:46
Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Shorrick Mk2

I have what is now known as the EASA IR (Restricted) – ex UK IMC Rating. This in effect means VFR in Europe.

Guess VFR from LSGG to Northern Italy is something like east across the lake to Villeneuve, south to LSGB (Bex) then E62 (Euro Road Route) via Simplon.

Sure this is a higher Alps X’ing than the The Gotthard or Brenner (my previous thinking) not withstanding Mt. Blanc!!! – I’ll have to take a detailed look to see where that lump of rock is !!!!

However, I guess you’ve done it before? What sort of minimum cloud base are we talking about on the day for half decent VFR ?

Aircraft is non-turbo Arrow, no Ox.

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 07 Apr 13:42

Yes either that sort of thing or going along the Mt. Blanc valley (south of the lake) and connecting south of LSGB with your route. I did it twice in a Piper Dakota. Cloudbase it depends… when I did it the first time it was sky clear, second time we went above at FL 125 ish (easier than weave in and out of valleys around Lugano). Cloudbase around 10000 ft QNH is good. After passing Lake Garda one can drop to about FL080 and drone on all the way to Mali Losinj.

You could consider flying OVER the Alps instead of through them. In a Piper Archer II or in the Cirrus SR22T or in your aircraft!

Two weeks ago I flew from Szeged (Hungary) via Venice IFR to Courchevel (LFLJ) in the French Alps. The minimum altitude they would let me fly to Courchevel IFR over the Alps was FL200. I could have cancelled IFR and fly VFR, but was too lazy to then have to look on the (digital) map for restricted areas, etc.

However, I remember that a few years ago, I flew over the same Alps from the North towards Verona in a simple Piper Archer II. No turbo, just 180 HP. I was able to climb to FL150 and flew VFR-on-top.

OK. That is if you want to fly single engine over the Alps. At that time we did not have the MH O2D2 pulse regulator or build-in Oxygen. We used a very simple continuous flow SkyOx Oxygen set that you can buy for just a few hundred euros. In the flight to Courchevel from 2 weeks ago, we would still use cannulas but monitor the oxygen saturation carefully while flying inbound Courchevel, now using the O2D2.

OK. If the top-of-clouds are higher than where your aircraft can take you and you cannot or do not want to fly through the Alps, you can fly via Vienna around the Alps to Croatia.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 07 Apr 20:13
EDLE, Netherlands

Unfortunately I have to withdraw from this flight, as I will have to work during this weekend. I cancelled my booking at the hotel accordingly.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

OK AeroPlus @ 227 – guess that’s aimed at me and thanks.

I don’t have even the simplest Ox system – guess I could beg, steal or borrow if required.

Waiting to hear, preferable by e-mail, from Shorrick Mk2 (LSGG) as a possible experienced Alps Man to P2 with me.

I have finally established contact with their commercial director, Alan Horvat. According to him the airport was open every day in the winter. Something doesn’t add up.

Anyway, I asked him if any special arrangements will be needed. I said maybe 10-20 aircraft might turn up. That’s just my wild guess. Can people post here or email/PM me to indicate their plans to come, so I have a better idea? I might do another mailshot…

Reply just now: No special procedure at the airport. We have ATC on airport every weekend from friday to sunday at working hours as airport. All other days we are Radio Lošinj on the same frequency 120.300.

Last Edited by Peter at 14 Apr 14:30
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

PH-PCA – 3 POBFRI TO SUN

Still every bit unsure – new job should be decided any day now, given that last bit of good luck – if I can still work it out it will be one microlight, one person on board, hoping to put up camp under the wing or as near as possible. Timing much dependent on weather, on top of the above.
Plus still no news about the legality of flying a microlight into Croatian airspace.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

If you are not sure, just say “not sure” so I can get people who are “sure” and people who are “possible”.

Please also indicate aircraft type – a CJ4 takes up more room than a C150

Just got the opening hours confirmed:

Until 28.05.14. – every day 08:00-16:00 LT
29.05.14.-30.09.14. – every day 08:00-20:00 LT

Last Edited by Peter at 14 Apr 19:01
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message