Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Alicante LEAL or Murcia LEMI in July?

Peter wrote:

As we found on the fly-in to Menorca in 2017, the Spanish handlers have a system to circumvent the Spanish law forcing the provision of “basic handling only”. They create a cartel whereby most handlers at a given airport do not respond, leaving just 1 or 2, and they charge quite a lot.

I would be surprised LESO having especially bad wx.

Re LFMT, remember the completely crazy 3 days’ PPR! They don’t seem to refuse a landing clearance, suggesting this is a “private initiative” by the GA desk and ATC don’t know about it. The GA guy just gives you a bollocking by email, saying they will make a special exception because traffic levels allowed it See the Sep 2023 Spain fly-in report for better options.

I’ve not tried Iberia yet, but going via head office may result in a cheaper fee? I am surprised that Iberia at Ibiza are so helpful, but presume made easier that I came from Schengen and had a SLOT that I got from the system. I love that they openly circumvent Spanish law too – I had this issue with Bilbao where Iberia just flat out told me to foxtrot oscar.

RE LFMT, I have no issues with that airport. Just may need to have a TOTAL fuel card for my stops as having to go to the PAX terminal for cash was an absolute piss-take on my Ibiza journey. But to be fair on the 4 stops I did in 2023, all ocassions all stands were pretty much taken.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

I am surprised

The difference is connected to local relations (which I always insist in not spoiling, please don’t burn bridges for the rest of us dozens just to solve your one need). There are local aircraft based at IBZ who use IB, I doubt that is the case at ALC where I know of no regular users. A quick forum search in Spanish drives zero results, unlike LEMU.

Also, bear in mind for your case for ALC, you will be saving around 100€ total with IB vs United bringing your total from 400€ to 300€, in exchange for a lot more hassle, unreliability and being mostly on your own with AENA. No bridges available to be burnt at LEAL so happy to see you opening up that one though.

I use Swissport at RMU/LEMI three or four times a year with some measure of success. Try using [email protected] see if that works. I you insist on “AOPA/AENA minimum fee 10EUR” , then ears/email tend to shut down. I pay less than 50€ plus self-AENA-fees-management-and-payment, 1.8t, total around 130€ depending on number of days parking, and find it reasonable. Full-service fee will be more like 300EUR.

Last Edited by Antonio at 25 Mar 09:34
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

The difference is connected to local relations (which I always insist in not spoiling, please don’t burn bridges for the rest of us dozens just to solve your one need). There are local aircraft based at IBZ who use IB, I doubt that is the case at ALC where I know of no regular users. A quick forum search in Spanish drives zero results, unlike LEMU.

Also, bear in mind for your case for ALC, you will be saving around 100€ total with IB vs United bringing your total from 400€ to 300€, in exchange for a lot more hassle, unreliability and being mostly on your own with AENA. No bridges available to be burnt at LEAL so happy to see you opening up that one though.

I use Swissport at RMU/LEMI three or four times a year with some measure of success. Try using [email protected] see if that works. I you insist on “AOPA/AENA minimum fee 10EUR” , then ears/email tend to shut down. I pay less than 50€ plus self-AENA-fees-management-and-payment, 1.8t, total around 130€, and find it reasonable. Full-service fee will be more like 300EUR.

Of course, your advise helped – albeit the only difference is Iberia want payment and proof to there bank for IBZ now. I am working on that blog next month with a detail guide on the process involving refuel, slots etc. I’d rather keep the option open, as it’s so far the cheapest airport in the world I’ve visited and the service from Iberia was perfect.

In terms of ALC/LEAL – I am happy to email Iberia, but worth wondering if a quick call they’d offer just the minibus to/from the terminal and I’ll take my Conos and ask SLCA to refuel me on arrival.

I was keen on LEMU but what’s the taxi going to be like, my families local taxi may not want that distance (Alicante Airport they’ll do if I give them a time a few days in advance). But apparently Alicante Airport is very problematic for taxis at the moment, or anyone that wants that distance? What is the cost likely to be? North of 100EUR to Lo Pagán?

For RMU/LEMI I’ve emailed AENA and they quickly responded to me, Swissport are now, no longer active at Murcia, Iberia is now active and I have contact details. I’ll try email them now asking and if no avail, I’ll give them a call. This is not in the AIP yet, when do they do AMDT’s?

RMU/LEMI would be my preferred choice as it’s closer to the villa, LEAL is just much more active – although it seems bloody busy.

EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

Swissport are now, no longer active at Murcia,

Good point. I was not aware. Thx!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

Good point. I was not aware. Thx!

I’ve emailed Iberia at RMU, I’ll wait there response – then if relevant share details on here for other pilot(s).

EGSG, United Kingdom

I was keen on LEMU but what’s the taxi going to be like, my families local taxi may not want that distance (Alicante Airport they’ll do if I give them a time a few days in advance). But apparently Alicante Airport is very problematic for taxis at the moment, or anyone that wants that distance? What is the cost likely to be? North of 100EUR to Lo Pagán?

Lo Pagan to LEAL is around 90 km on the motorway. LEMU would only be about 20 km more. You may want to check whether that is a real problem for that local taxi..
Life is so much easier going to LEMU..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Sorry @pilotrobbie for the diversion, but it brings so many memories! Murcia is my birthplace, and we used to fly to LELC so much: Avgas, customs and not that long ago, no handling. Oh, how much I miss LELC, so close to Lo Pagan! Beautiful place, long ago , (seems so, but it was only 5 years ago) , closed to civilian traffic due to the mostly unnecessary construction of LEMI

Ah the good old times of LELC after a beautiful sunset arrival…

My family used to spend a lot of time as kids at Lo Pagan, it is still a beautiful area, you can see it in the background of this pic of MAria Centurion at LELC, just behind the tail…

Last Edited by Antonio at 25 Mar 16:02
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Have you also considered LEMP , right next to LEMI ?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

aart wrote:

Lo Pagan to LEAL is around 90 km on the motorway. LEMU would only be about 20 km more. You may want to check whether that is a real problem for that local taxi..
Life is so much easier going to LEMU..

I think it’s just how it was described to me, I don’t know much other than if I want a cheaper taxi ride, a favour can be done – but some notice must be given and times if it’s Alicante area.

Antonio wrote:

Sorry @pilotrobbie for the diversion, but it brings so many memories! Murcia is my birthplace, and we used to fly to LELC so much: Avgas, customs and not that long ago, no handling. Oh, how much I miss LELC, so close to Lo Pagan! Beautiful place, long ago , (seems so, but it was only 5 years ago) , closed to civilian traffic due to the mostly unnecessary construction of LEMI…

I guess you would agree that the new Murcia airport is a bit of a white elephant too then? What beautiful pictures and such a shame that you can longer fly there. I noted that LEMI had 17 flights yesterday in total according to CFMU. I’ve only flown into the new Murcia with easyJet and not much was going on, very small terminal and nothing open and transport non that existent. I got the bus service to/from and it was okay.

I notice that the military now fly regularly, and saw them having fun yesterday at very high FLs out of LELC. Surprised they won’t offer GA handling.

No response from Iberia Murcia, if I gave you the number, could you ask? UK to ES is expensive on o2.

Antonio wrote:

Have you also considered LEMP , right next to LEMI ?

I have to be careful where I visit, as even short grass runways gives some concern to the owners as damage to the prop or disabling the aircraft. That’s why I tend to go to this big places with miles of runway. Although I do love a bit of Sandown and a BBQ.

EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

I gave you the number, could you ask?

Sure! Sent you a PM

Antonio
LESB, Spain
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message