Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Transiting Malaga (and other) airspace

Hi all,

I am planning some VFR flights in south and central Spain.

Does anyone have any recent information/ tips on transiting Malaga (CTR or TMA) as VFR traffic.

How restrictive is the CTR? Are these paths likely? https://aip.enaire.es/AIP/contenido_AIP/AD/AD2/LEMG/LE_AD_2_LEMG_VAC_1_en.pdf

Or, is it better to go to FL080 and fly above the CTR?

This will be during winter season.

Thanks

United Kingdom

I was based in LEMG and LEAX for years, but while my own experience is somewhat dated, looking at the chart not much has changed. One positive aspect is that they have increased the max altitudes on the VFR transit route (used to be 1000ft).

If coming from the east, be prepared to hold over PE-1. Gives you a nice view of old town Malaga, the port and the Gibralfaro fortress. Coming from the west, the holding point usually was PW-1. Also, coming from the west, you typically cannot talk to anyone until you’re pretty much at PW-1, as the terrain blocks radio comms.

One thing to note: you write you’ll fly this in winter. Be advised that the area around PW-1 can have severe, and I mean SEVERE turbulence. In 25 years of flying, this is the only area where I lost control of an airplane once. Obviously regained it, otherwise I wouldn’t be writing this , but it can be brutal. ATC know that and typically let you offset out to sea in that area. Be prepared. If all you want to do is cross the general area, I would do as you suggest and stay high. I did that regularly when based at LEAX and coming from the west. Never had a problem doing that.

Thanks for the above information!

That turbulence sounds awful – it’s important to remember how things can go wrong.

So Seville Approach routinely gives fast clearances to transit LEMG at 8000ft? Sounds good.

United Kingdom

They certainly used to, that was never an issue. Cannot remember the altitude I got cleared through though, it might have been lower.

To add: in winter, if there is a strong north-westerly flow, the turbulence above the mountains there is no joke either. I turned back on a couple of occasions, as it was simply not flyable in a SEP.

Last Edited by 172driver at 22 Jan 21:17

Just one data point and it was almost two years ago, we were declined to transit PE2, PW2. IIRC it was at 1000‘ back then but I might be mistaken. We were VFR on the way from LEAX to LETJ and had to fly around the CTR over the sea as clouds didn’t allow to fly inland.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

AlwaysWondering wrote:

So Seville Approach routinely gives fast clearances to transit LEMG at 8000ft? Sounds good.

Any time you want to transit a TMA, make sure to file a flight plan, make sure your route includes some navaid from that airport and plan your flight via published waypoints and fly high enough so that you’re out of the way of approaches/departures. Listed to the ATIS before you call approach and call 10min in advance and let them know you have the ATIS and how you plan to transit. Fly straight and level and talk confidently on the radio using the correct phraseology.

Do all of this and it’s highly likely you’ll be accommodated pretty much anywhere. I know this is general advice but I thought it’s worth putting it out there.

ELLX, Luxembourg

Forget the idea to cross the CTR and plan a route avoiding CTR and flying in G space in the vicinity area of Malaga CTR (Málaga Approach sectors of TMA Seville), because in most of the cases they do not allow it (including flying as VFR in D airspace). Nevertheless, my recommendation is always to try requesting to ATC your intentions, if you received a “No”, you already have that in mind and in your planning.

Happy flights.

Spain

Mine is also just one data point, 8 years ago, and it was not issue at all to cross at 1.000 ft, from W to E, and it was at the end of April. I called about 5 mins before entering the CTR. For the major summer holiday destinations like Malaga, Alicante and Palma I suppose the low season (Nov-March, but beware of the end of year holidays) the chances are pretty good you’ll be allowed to cross I would think. Forget Barcelona though.

Then again @JL_TM is probably local and knows best what the current situation is in Malaga..

Last Edited by aart at 23 Jan 16:54
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Would be good to know if @JL_TM is local and if the experience is recent. Also, if it is during low season, as the OP says he wants to go. Interestingly, when I lived there, the busiest day of the year for LEMG was January 6 or the weekend closest to it, when everyone had to go back north to school, work, whatever. I always enjoyed being able to stay and enjoy the sunshine

Yes, we are based in Sevilla (LEZL) and with the school and flying club usually fly in the area. Last experiences Dec23.

LEZL=》 LEAM & LEZL =》GEML 3/3 times not allowed to fly in D airspace, so not possible to overflight CTR neither fly in the Málaga APP area. For the moment it is clear they are not going to allow to fly in D airspace under VFR.

COASTLINE: 1 crossing allowed. 1 rejected and requested to flight south of CTR over the sea 1000’ below.

Therefore as I commented, depends on “who knows”, so keep always in mind “No” as an answer and do not be frustrated.

We have been working with Enaire ( spanish atc provider) to solve the situation but for the moment only a higher G airspace altitude was obtaining in the last airspace modification nov23.

KR

Spain
40 Posts
Sign in to add your message