Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Alicante LEAL or Murcia LEMI in July?

Depends whether you want to sight-see a bit along the way of course, after a long and mostly boring stretch of France

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Yes the Pyrenees are quite challenging in summer and may be towering quite early. I second @boscomantico I’d fly over Biarritz at the Atlantic coast. For any means: across the Pyrenees IFR starts at FL190 or higher. So if you don’t fly that high you’ll have to fly over Biarritz or on the east side towards Barcelona.

I remember ATC quite helpful on both sides of the Pyrenees in challenging weather. Last time that I flew right across there VFR I was VFR on top, because down low was impossible to proceed. I heard lots of airliners requesting weather avoidance vectors, so there was quite some workload for ATC, but nevertheless they didn’t forget me. Clouds were towering all around me much quicker than I thought and I could barely outclimb it. This was one of these situations where I was just so glad I have the turbo. Just momentarily climbed FL160 right over the tops (just at the border), and some minutes later descended into France. Alternative would have been to continue all the way along the Pyrenees to Barcelona (Biarritz was underneath a cold front), that would have meant not only 1.5 hours longer flight but also would have required a fuel stop. Biarritz is quite often in bad weather, due to its geographical position.

The VFR airfields that I approached so far were self-organizing in Spanish language. First time to Casarrubios I listened to the local frequency and there was quite some activity. Then I passed my message in english. You don’t get a response of course, but after me was a looong silence Coordination worked out very smooth, all from pilot to pilot. The next times I just talked in Spanish and you get integrated quite quickly.

Germany

If I aim to fly via San Sebastian (Presume can clear customs/Schengen?) or no need if just a JetA1 stop?

Isn’t flying over the bulk of mainland Spain during the peak heating going to be extremely bumpy? Even at FL130/FL150? I see the terrain is quite high generally?
I mean I could aim for 1700-1800L, then land into Southern Spain at 1900-2100L or so. What’s people’s experience?

My usual routing now is via MPL as the bulk bit of France I have two or 3 routes down and up to the UK before then making tracks to Spain.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Very low probability of thermal bumps at anything above FL100, or even lower in central Spain at midday

Check past threads on LESO and customs/immigration. Long story, at one point, due to the “right kind of police” refusing to come to work. @aart may be up to date. But obviously check the AIP and NOTAMs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

aart wrote:

Very low probability of thermal bumps at anything above FL100, or even lower in central Spain at midday

Really? I do wonder what I was getting in September north of Barcelona, during lunchtime.

Peter wrote:

Check past threads on LESO and customs/immigration. Long story, at one point, due to the “right kind of police” refusing to come to work. @aart may be up to date. But obviously check the AIP and NOTAMs.

It seems to state; Customs and Immigration: HR AD. (3).

(3) Authorisation must be requested 3 HR in advance for aircraft with a maximum of 10 seats, and 24 HR in advance for larger aircraft to: Operations Office LESO TEL: +34-943 668 504/524 FAX: +34-943 668 514 AFTN: LESO E-mail: [email protected]

Nothing noteworthy in the NOTAMS.

EGSG, United Kingdom

Really? I do wonder what I was getting in September north of Barcelona, during lunchtime.

Which area exactly? Over high terrain, little ground clearance? High winds? I can only speak of my experience and have never had an issue at midday crossing Spain at FL100. Even a lot lower in very light aircraft and helicopters it was never uncomfortable.

Just an update of quotations received from these airport(s). I am yet to try Iberia, but wondering to either call them (Unless anyone in Spanish can try?) then I’ll try closer to the time once I’ve got my SLOT? (Can’t believe this lot charge 50 EURO for it).

United Aviation -

€ 397.57 incl AENA fees (with some spontaneous 33% discount)

Aviapartner Aviavip Spain -

€ 291.97 (with some spontaneous 10% discount)
Guessing from above AENA fees (€250.61)

€542.58 Total…

I’ve had zero response from Swissport at LEMI, is the airport even much functional at this time of year? LEMU Muchamiel is double the distance than LEAL. I am staying in Lo Pagán, and apparently taxi’s from the airport are a pain but my cousins who I am staying with will arrange one for me to either LEAL or LEMI for a discounted rate.

EGSG, United Kingdom

aart wrote:

Which area exactly? Over high terrain, little ground clearance? High winds? I can only speak of my experience and have never had an issue at midday crossing Spain at FL100. Even a lot lower in very light aircraft and helicopters it was never uncomfortable.

Good to know, understand from other thread that LESO – San Sebastian has frequent CBs though. So am I maybe better sticking to Montpellier in July? I’d have thought LESO in July would have been summer, but what do I know ;)

EGSG, United Kingdom

As we found on the fly-in to Menorca in 2017, the Spanish handlers have a system to circumvent the Spanish law forcing the provision of “basic handling only”. They create a cartel whereby most handlers at a given airport do not respond, leaving just 1 or 2, and they charge quite a lot.

I would be surprised LESO having especially bad wx.

Re LFMT, remember the completely crazy 3 days’ PPR! They don’t seem to refuse a landing clearance, suggesting this is a “private initiative” by the GA desk and ATC don’t know about it. The GA guy just gives you a bollocking by email, saying they will make a special exception because traffic levels allowed it See the Sep 2023 Spain fly-in report for better options.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message