Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LFNA Gap Tallard

Mont Dauphin St. Crépin (LFNC) and Barcelonnette (LFMR) are both near by and IMHO even better than Gap flying wise. If I had to choose one of the three, it would be Barcelonnette – it’s more interesting than Gap a flying destination and more exciting than St. Crépin as a tourist destination (the little town is full of Cafés, Restaurants and small shops and offers plenty of accommodation options). Here are a few pictures from last year.

EDIT: Dan was faster, so three votes for Barcelonnette 😀

Last Edited by terbang at 30 Aug 14:08
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Thanks @Boscomantico
I just spoke to the restaurant cited above, and yes it is open, but only for lunch, kitchen closes 14:30lt. Here’s a link for the restaurant, and some accommodation, Le Cap being on the field itself: Alpes-Envol

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Ok my previous commentary about closure was about Barcelonette airfield’s restaurant, not the one at Gap. “Le Jump” seems to be the new name of “Le Looping”.
Same place, same nice view!

LFMD, France

Avoid Barcelonnette LFMR like the plague. You may consider me biassed, since it’s well known that I lost my plane there. But plenty of others have too, most recently in horrible circumstances. And even more nearly have – I was talking recently to a VERY accomplished pilot, who told me that she had very nearly lost her plane there due to the humped/steeply descending runway (That was what got me too, but she had the good sense not to try to go around, and just barely managed to stop on the paved runway).

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

humped/steeply descending runway

It is a (slightly) different runway. But once more, one has to be very aware of hers/his limitations, the aircraft’s limitations, and the evolving environmental conditions.
I’m certainly nothing but an average pilot, but using an aircraft which I can easily operate in and out of a 300m strip or less, has easily double the ROC of any spam can, makes a place like Barcelonette look ok. I just wrote ok so as to, the most important thing in aviation, not loose respect. And one thing I’d do again, is re-read the approach notes. And for a first timer, watch some of those movies.

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Been in Gap end of June visiting a friend. Loved it. The approach is easy, just follow the reporting points published in the approach chart.

Be aware that it can be quite busy during weekends. Skydiving airplanes (3 of them the day I was there) would land opposite QFU on the grass runway, load up at the end of the runway, and take off again – in the direction of the QFU this time. All this with regular traffic on the parallel runway. So keep your eyes open and listen to the radio.

Also, the guys at the radio are technically AFIS, not “full blown controllers” i.e. you are the ultimate authority (and responsible person).

Wonderful landscapes around. Enjoy your trip! :)

etn
EDQN, Germany

etn wrote:

Also, the guys at the radio are technically AFIS, not “full blown controllers” i.e. you are the ultimate authority (and responsible person).

An important thing to know that, it is indeed an AFIS agent and not a controller. But he/she is usually very aware of the particularities of Gap, that has a lot of various activities. This been understood, many things can happen in there – I or some friends experienced:
-being taken over by a very fast UL while in downwind. Know that UL have a specific pattern, shorter, and some pilots just don’t ask you before taking your turn to land… just a “ola le cessnouille, ca te derange si je me pose avant toi?”
-being politely asked to not initiate your takeof because one of the PC6 is in very short final at a 1800fpm descent mode, almost in front of you but landing in the grass strip in opposite QFU, to operate as mentionnend by etn.
-being politely asked to not takeof because indeed, it’s raining parachutes all over the grass field between the runway and the restaurant.

There are a lot of adventure here, and it runs nicely most of time, just “be aware”. Of course, Barcelonette is another atmosphere, with a lot of wrecks near the glider aera.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 30 Aug 15:11
LFMD, France

Thanks everyone for the input, it sounds quite doable.

Barcelonette looks interesting – 800m and the slope isn’t too worrying as I usually operate from 450m bumpy grass with a similar slope, although the DA on a hot day will be new to me in this plane. I have only very limited experience with high DA takeoffs (the worst being at Mammoth KMMH at 9500’ DA in a 172sp). Perhaps I will try Gap first and add Barcelonette to the “to do” list.

A friend who speaks French is coming so this might help me with the ATC a bit :)

United Kingdom

greg_mp wrote:

An important thing to know that, it is indeed an AFIS agent and not a controller. But he/she is usually very aware of the particularities of Gap, that has a lot of various activities. This been understood, many things can happen in there – I or some friends experienced:
-being taken over by a very fast UL while in downwind. Know that UL have a specific pattern, shorter, and some pilots just don’t ask you before taking your turn to land… just a “ola le cessnouille, ca te derange si je me pose avant toi?”
-being politely asked to not initiate your takeof because one of the PC6 is in very short final at a 1800fpm descent mode, almost in front of you but landing in the grass strip in opposite QFU, to operate as mentionnend by etn.
-being politely asked to not takeof because indeed, it’s raining parachutes all over the grass field between the runway and the restaurant.

There are a lot of adventure here, and it runs nicely most of time, just “be aware”. Of course, Barcelonette is another atmosphere, with a lot of wrecks near the glider aera.

Good write-up Greg, that sums it up pretty nicely.
The place use to have customs, status which has been removed a few years ago… so one just saddled it’s mount, flew by Geneva and Chambery, and landed, coming from Zurich in about 1h flight time (no PPR or other fancy complication). And then enjoyed the above mentioned salad. Good’ ol times

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

greg_mp wrote:

An important thing to know that, it is indeed an AFIS agent and not a controller. But he/she is usually very aware of the particularities of Gap, that has a lot of various activities.

Thanks for completing my post. Indeed, they made a very good impression to me when I was there. Very helpful and on top of their game!

etn
EDQN, Germany
Sign in to add your message