Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EPGD to EVRS via Kaliningrad FIR

Dear all

I plan a flight from EPGD to EVRS. The shortest seems like over Baltic sea in Kaliningrad FIR. Any recent updates? Good idea or not?

Best
Tore

Austria

You got to be kidding…

EDM_, Germany

Just to quote the controller years ago when I tried the same thing: „Have you ever seen Russian fighters nearby? You will!“

EDDS , Germany

Not a good idea, fly around.

ESSZ, Sweden

Tore wrote:

Dear all

I plan a flight from EPGD to EVRS. The shortest seems like over Baltic sea in Kaliningrad FIR. Any recent updates? Good idea or not?

Best
Tore

If it was a genuine question, then the answer is no, it is not possible to enter the airspace of Russia for an aircraft registered in EU/EEA/UK/US/…

EGTR

It was a genuine question really, I got the route in Foreflight and Rocketroute.. never flew there. Clear guys thanks.

Austria

This is a genuine question. Has anyone flown the ‘Suwalki Gap’ between Lithuania and Poland recently? I’ve used it several times (VFR) but it doesn’t look quite so attractive nowadays! (It’s 40 mi wide, Kaliningrad on one side and Belarus on the other). A shame, because it makes a circular tour of the Baltic very practical.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

No problems at all.. A fellow UK based forum member also flew from EYKS to Poland at the beginnig of May. Regarding VFR- there are always restricted areas up to 3000 or 4000ft, so you may need to check the weather..

Last Edited by ivark at 29 May 17:13
EETU, Estonia

Thanks, that’s very helpful.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

I was told last autumn that you could still transit through Kaliningrad FIR if staying over international waters. Specific waypoints were listed for transits. Don’t know if it works anymore. However, Russian airplanes are constantly flying in European Union FIR (like Helsinki FIR) as long as they stay over international waters.

Finland
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message