Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The IR - My Review of 2022

dutch_flyer wrote:

His mission was a completely different one: to enjoy nice weather days in an airplane that’s fun to fly. This is a totally valid mission, and for him an IR is not worth it.

Then why bother with the plane at all? :)
I heard from more than one airline pilot that when they want to “feel” the flight, they fly paramotor.

EGTR

Peter wrote:

Astonishing!

I guess it’s worded terribly. My logbook totals 374hrs 20 at end of 2022. I flew 55hrs or so as per the blog.

Imagine doing that amount of hours…. £££££

dutch_flyer wrote:

The IR is a tool to open up possibilities, to increase dispatchability, and to make longer journeys less problematic. For those who dream of using an airplane for reliable travel, I would absolutely say that getting the IR is nearly essential, and I do take issue with those who say otherwise. So many times I’ve made a trip where the weather was forecast to be severe clear, only to have to use my IR to get in or out due to unforecast cloud. And I probably wouldn’t plan trips like I took to Norway where I brought friends along without having an IR, because the chance of disappointing them is much higher. Even on your transatlantic trip you needed your IR a few times.

Pig wrote:

If you can, get one.

Dan wrote:

Yes, an IR rated pilot has the freedom to do this as well, but few do… and unfortunately the tone of IR flyers on EuroGA can sometimes be elitist.

The IR is definitely a tool to explore, and if it wasn’t for COVID, I’d have had a few more explorations under my belt. I am proud of the achievement and nothing beats sitting at FL150 with airlines going above and under you as you glide majestically above all the weather below you as you travel from A to B. If I am going to Sandown for a BBQ, take my friends for lunch, then I’ll do that. But to go see Europe, the easiest way is fit in with the system. Even Liverpool IFR or Kemble IFR from Stapleford is simple in practice vs VFR and having to navigate around some of the busiest airspace in the world.

There’s a lot to do to get from A to B as you describe Dan, but there’s nothing simpler than climbing up, being known and having a seamless service all the way to your destination. I also like the challenge.

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 29 Jan 11:27
Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

I heard from more than one airline pilot that when they want to “feel” the flight, they fly paramotor.

I’ve known loads of current and ex airline pilots in GA and all of them were flying “rag and tube” (loosely worded) types Well, one was flying IFR and he’s gone now (bought a boat).

going above and under you as you glide majestically above all the weather below you as you travel from A to B

That should not be true, because apart from UK and Italy the airspace class is fine for VFR just about everywhere. But sadly it is true. IFR gives you more options – largely due to dumb ATC/airspace policies which are mostly unpublished and cannot be used to plan a flight unless you plan it wholly OCAS.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For just drilling holes in the sky, VFR is pure freedom.

For travel to a specific destination, the greater the distance the more likely IFR will be a more relaxed choice… unless the entire continent is covered during summer by one great high pressure system.

LSZK, Switzerland

We love to travel and have weekends away, often in places that overland travel won’t sensibly take you for a weekend.
My job can pay for this, but generally requires me to be back at work on Monday morning. (Other jobs may be available to others)
The amount of times we cancelled….and it was a good decision, or cancelled when 2hrs later the marginal wx with a promise to get worse was wrong and got better was Png me off.
Hotel cancellation policy plays into all this too.
That’s before you consider getting there and wasting the experience wondering if you’ll get home on time. Or a destination far away enough to dial-in much more Wx considerations.
The IR has given me the ‘Freedom’ I was dreaming of.
Only 2 of around 20 trips cancelled in 18 months.
I love flying but after 20yrs was completely done with VFR as the only option. For me it was get the IR or give up.

United Kingdom

The best of both worlds is to move and fly somewhere where IMC doesn’t happen so often, and where airspace doesn’t constrain VFR. It works for me, although I suppose some might see that approach as elitist too. I feel sorry for people whose lives are wrapped around identifying elites in their own minds, or creating them.

My flying is about the trip, the view, and flying or maneuvering the plane. Arriving is nice but I don’t live on an island and it’s generally easier to arrive by some other means, if arriving is the main objective. I’ve flown as currency-training safety pilot and on trips done under IFR with friends and found it generally unpleasant, not something I’d be interested in doing. It also means more stuff on the plane, stuff that I don’t want to buy, wouldn’t appreciate owning or carrying around (weight wise), and don’t want to maintain. A plane is like a motorcycle to me, not a car, truck or train, in other words a wonderful simple thing that can take you on adventures away from an annoyingly regimented and brainless world. That’s what I want out of flying, and mostly when doing it in the way I choose that’s what I get.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Jan 18:02

You know I was wondering how 6000nm took 374 hours – that’s the sort of performance we get from the Nord. Hahahha

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

A plane is like a motorcycle to me, not a car, truck or train, in other words a wonderful simple thing that can take you on adventures away from an annoyingly regimented and brainless world.

I actually like both, and in my perfect world I’d have a Cirrus or Bonanza for long trips and something with a stick for punching holes in the sky on nice days.

EHRD, Netherlands

I actually like both, and in my perfect world I’d have a Cirrus or Bonanza for long trips and something with a stick for punching holes in the sky on nice days

JetProp/PA46 for trip to Greece and J3/Cub for local flight or gorcery shopping from your backyard, I am sure someone from EuroGA has managed to get to that level of freedom, he can opine on the utility of having an IR

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Jan 20:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

in my perfect world I’d have a Cirrus or Bonanza for long trips and something with a stick for punching holes in the sky on nice days.

For my purposes an RV would do both, probably better than either, with whatever level of equipment I’d want. I don’t need to carry more than two people.

The only ‘problem’ with the RVs is that they’ve become so common locally as to be generic. In truth that’s why I don’t have one, also because in my situation the certified plane is less expensive. An RV wouldn’t break the bank account but my pleasure in flying and owning is increased when my costs are held at a level that is almost inconsequential to any wider financial plan.

I did have two planes for a while, nine years I guess, and find myself missing my Cub-like (only shiner and prettier) Luscombe only occasionally.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Jan 00:01
Sign in to add your message